TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I'm trying to install my 1994-5 header panel on the car to have my first mod to the SVE build. I want to remove the bumper without destroying it lol. How do I take off the bumper pop rivets in a clean way?

·
Registered
1996 Cougar 4.6
63 Posts
yeah drill is the way to go. use a bit thats slightly larger than the center part of the rivet. if it starts spinning youll have to find a way to keep it still.

·
SuperNewbie
1995 Thunderbird LX 4.6 red
3,275 Posts
Anytime I remove a rivet I like to use a small punch to tap the center out of it. That way you only have to drill the actual rivet.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
The real question is: what are you putting the bumper back on with? Where do you get those special rivets, and the tool to put them back on with?

Your typical all purpose rivet gun needs a solid surface to work against. A plastic bumper is not solid, unless you use a washer on both sides.

Al

·
The Parts Guy
7,727 Posts
The real question is: what are you putting the bumper back on with? Where do you get those special rivets, and the tool to put them back on with?

Your typical all purpose rivet gun needs a solid surface to work against. A plastic bumper is not solid, unless you use a washer on both sides.

Al
The correct plastic rivet gun is readily available. You can get a cheap one if you don't intend to use it often.

·
Super Moderator
11,414 Posts
There's a link here somewhere for these poprivets from hell, but I cant seem to find it; I think it's a victim of my ssd crash on my "tv laptop", it died last yeay. I only realized that I lost all those saved links that I realized how bad ssd drives are;they have no chance of recovery after they crash.
I've used the freezer trick on 50 or so different drives after they went to shtff, over the years.Got it all back on spinners, tho.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
These work well for the upper attachment. IMG_1978[1].JPG

Reactions: Grog6
1 - 8 of 8 Posts