TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some inside the trunk parts for my two 95's. Any time I find a car at the local pick and pulls that has the trunk open, the jack and related stuff is long gone.

There are always a few cars with no keys and closed trunks. I always take my collection of Ford keys and try them out, but haven't gotten lucky with that yet.

When I asked about opening up a locked trunk, they tell me it's up to me, they don't care how I do it, and can't help.

Here's my problem - I wasn't a teenage hoodlum and have a conscience. I pried the lock cylinder out of one car and royally screwed up that deck lid, but still couldn't get that thing to open.

Does anyone have any advice as to how to do this without totally destroying the deck lid?

I don't want to try to go through the backseat, because, well, most of these cars are so nasty, you don't want to touch the inside at all, much less roll around in there!

Thanks

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
I have quite a few spare trunk keys .. sometimes I have had success by finding one that fits sort of loosely and turn it with a big wrench to force the lock. Or if you can get a battery hooked up, you can press the trunk pop button.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
I've done it both ways, hooking up a battery, as well as pulling the back seat, crawling through he trunk, and unbolting the latch. The battery part is more of a pain in the ass, IMO.

I have yet to find a jack or spare in a trunk of a bird at the yard, ever.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Use a battery from a portable drill :)

I used the 18v battery from my Dewalt to move a power seat forwards and backwards to get it unbolted a few months back (I chopped off the car side of the harness.)

Pull back the drivers side carpet and pull up the wire bundle that is there. You are looking for a Purple/Yellow wire - hit that with power and it should pop open. You should also be able to find a ground in that area.

You could also use the wire in the center console for the trunk release. Here is a good idea of the wiring and the colors. http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/alarmdetail/917.html

·
Super Moderator
16,986 Posts
I rarely bring my cordless drills to junkyards unless I plan ahead of time on picking up riveted parts. The rest of the time I usually pack all my tools in a duffel bag and the weight of anything unnecessary becomes unbearable after a while(I tend to wander the whole yard to find various stuff rather than go in single focused)....Plus I can never seem to keep the batteries charged:tongue:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the wiring info. I hadn't thought about using my drill battery.

It truly stunk when I found that perfect tail light and I couldn't get the trunk open. I found an open trunk at another yard, but paid more for it, plus another admission fee.

I may only have a few posts, but I've rebuilt both front ends and many other things on these two cars from topics on this site over the past year. The search button is truly your best friend!

Thanks again

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Can't you just drill the rivet out (or cut off head with hammer and chisel) between the license plate lights and pull the trunk lock cylinder retainer (similar to the door ones but longer) then slide out the cylinder so it can be turned?

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Take one of those portable jump starters and hook it to the battery terminals. That should get you enough juice to pop the trunk, right?

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
I like the portable drill idea - that's awesome!

I've also pried the lock out and brought a small 12v battery (like from emergency lighting).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts