TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think that I'm going to repaint the bird soon. (stop the rust) has anyone used Por15? I have heared some realy good stuff on it. and as you can see I"m from IL and rust is a prob. I don't want it to come back and they say that this stuff not only stops what you have (rust wise) but makes it so it will not come back. thats what I need. www.por15.com has all good stuf too read but is it true? my car is my driver so salt is killing me. any info is helpfull. thank you.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have used marhyde One-Step and SEM Rustmort, they were pretty good. The only way to stop rust is to grind it all out and treat the metal with an acid treatment, then seal the metal with an epoxy primer like PPG DP or DPLF.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have used Por-15 a lot. It is wonderful stuff. Always do the underside of winter beaters. Never a sign of rust again. Just be sure to clean all of the oil and grease, this will give the por a chance to hold.
Wear rubber gloves or something similar, the paint will not wash off of your hands. Has to wear off, this takes weeks, I speak from experience.

·
Registered
708 Posts
its excellent stuff, you just have to put some effort getting out as much rust as you can, and I dont mean poke at it with a screwdriver. grind it out with 36 or 80 grit, spot sandblast if you can. My professional opinion is that these converters only work if you get 99% of it out before you apply. Sand the area well with 180 so it holds on, use a good wax and grease remover before application, and I'm not talking simple green, or dawn soap. use a real paint-prep solvent. You can get it at a decent parts store in an aresol. I'ts the small prep steps that makes or breaks it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts