TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I picked up a pair of JBA impersonaters from a TCCoA member. It's no wonder why ported stock manifolds outperform these things. The openings and connecting welds (internally) are just awful. The holes are so restricted and the collector is only 2 1/8"! Yikes! Here are some before pictures of the driver's side header as I received:

This one shows the 2 1/8" collector which i will remove center protrusion, bore out to 2 1/2" and smooth...

This next one shows how closed off (look at the top left hole) these things are and what in the h-e-double hockey sticks is that thing in the middle!?!?:

These next two show how restricted the inlet holes of the primaries are in these headers. The first one is one of the worst ones (front 2 are REALLY bad) and the second shows how rear two primaries are (not so bad, but can still be improved):

BTW, the primaries of these headers measure from 1 1/4" - 1 3/8" in diameter; I'm gonna try to get 1 1/2" round & smoothed out of them. These headers are a far cry from Kooks 1 5/8" primaries and 2 1/2" collector, but hey - they were much cheaper! :D

I'll post up pics when they are done for your critiquing. I'm still trying to find a good digital vacuum gauge to borrow for my upper plenum testing!

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They're getting better!

:rolleyes:wow now thats a quality set of headers... it looks like someone at a tech school just had some leftover pipe and said i bet i could make some headers before class is over...haha
On a Friday! LOL Anyways, I started cleaning them up. In these two pics, you can see I cleaned up the primaries to 1 1/2":

Here I got the collector bored/cleaned out to 2 3/8" (no way was I getting to 2 1/2"):

I barely started on the inside, so it's not done yet. I'll post when finished...

·
Super Moderator
11,871 Posts
This next one shows how closed off (look at the top left hole) these things are and what in the h-e-double hockey sticks is that thing in the middle!?!?:

That's a scavanger (a poor one at that)

Here's what they should look like. this one's on a Kook header.

Photo courtesy of Enbalmer at the thread below.

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=129111

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Make sure you also weld up the bejesus out of the pass side, they always cracked there in use.
Can you be a little more specific where they always crack? Because I would like to reinforce that like you said!

That's a scavanger (a poor one at that)

Here's what they should look like. this one's on a Kook header.

Photo courtesy of Enbalmer at the thread below.

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=129111
Wow, that looks real nice. If I can even get CLOSE to it looking like that I'll be happy!

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
made any more progress on the headers?
Yeh, I opened up the holes in the collector a bit. I opened that one that was closed up A LOT (you should have seen the pile of metal on the floor). The hole on the top left in the first pic is the one that was practically plugged off:

It's on the top right in this pic:

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Done! (As Good As They're Getting Anyways)

This is it and all I'm doing to these shorty headers. I know the pics aren't that great, but they're as good as I could get right now:

The other header is pretty good and it's not quite finished; that was the bad one. So what do y'all think? If you compare to what I started with in Post #1 above, it doesn't even look like the same header! lol

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Looks like a big improvement to me. I saw some of these in the for sale section and was thinking about them. :D

·
Registered
4,147 Posts

.. here are a set of JBA's with the welding cleaned up on the primaries.

The second picture is a "repaired" header, the New weld can be seen near the EGR tube where the last primary is attached to the collector.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I wish I had never seen or heard of JBA headers - biggest POS ever. You are taking a risk installing them because they will crack on the pass side where the AC drips on them. Just a matter of time.

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
I wish I had never seen or heard of JBA headers - biggest POS ever. You are taking a risk installing them because they will crack on the pass side where the AC drips on them. Just a matter of time.
The AC condensation does not drip on the JBA's .. its the Longtube headers that get the drip.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
... here are a set of JBA's with the welding cleaned up on the primaries.

The second picture is a "repaired" header, the New weld can be seen near the EGR tube where the last primary is attached to the collector.
That's the easy part (you did a nice job, btw). The hard part is cleaning up inside the collector of the driver's side header. That's the pictures I took.

Thanks for the compliments, y'all. As for sucky idea of shorties, well, they're not Kooks mid-length or Mustang long-tubes, but if cleaned up nice are an improvement over stock. If they crack, they crack :zdunno:. I'm sure I can rig up something to keep the a/c from dripping on them, but the a/c drips on the stock exhaust of my Bird now!

·
Registered
21 Posts
The AC condensation does not drip on the JBA's .. its the Longtube headers that get the drip.

Dripped on mine (could hear it sizzle when the droplets landed on the hot header), and that is right where it broke. All three times. YMMV I guess, but I would touch those turds with somebody else's 10' pole

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
That's the easy part (you did a nice job, btw). The hard part is cleaning up inside the collector of the driver's side header. That's the pictures I took.
Yeah I noticed that from your pictures - I dont have pictures but I can tell you the JBA's did not look like that in the Collectors, so there was no work needed to be done in that area.

·
Baddest N/A NPI in Canada
2,116 Posts
Glad to see you back and posting Dan.:) A lot of the newbies are not going to remember you and with your low post count, they are probably going to question you on your knowledge. Hope you stick around because you pioneered a lot back in the day and some of the new guys could learn a thing or two from you. I know I did...

·
Baddest N/A NPI in Canada
2,116 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts