TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Got my Hands on a UIM and I was wondering if its worth it to to port it.
I have a Dremal but it can only get in so Deep. Also some people say if you make it too smooth it wont do any good. Is It worth it??? Any pointers.

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
well I usually go over everything with a flapper wheels, which makes a somewhat smooth, but slightly rough surface. This is said to be the best finish for porting, as I've heard from several pros.

It is beneficial to port as far as you can reach with a dremel, the gain isnt really from removing meterial, just smoothing out the casting flashes and making that rough surface (Which flows better than smooth). There's probably a 10hp gain from doing just that.

-Thomas

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
If you have the capabilities, cut it open and remove .5-1" of the runners. You will be able to reach everything for porting while its apart and have much better results. Welding it back together should only cost 30 bucks tops.

I think 10hp is a generous estimate without cutting it open.

·
8,978 Posts
true, maybe 5-7. I know it's decent.

1" of runner length on a lightly modded car is way too much. Low end power will go down the drain. .5" is better. Welding only 30 bucks? I wish there were places like that arond here. Welding aluminum nicely takes over an hour on the upper intake manifold, and places around here charge 55 bucks an hour.

-Thomas

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
I should have clarified my reason for suggesting .5 to 1". All depends on how far he plans on taking his future mods. Thomas is right, keep it shorter if you are keeping your mods to a minimum. :)

Yeah around here I can get welding for pretty cheap. I could get cheaper but the quality of work drops off pretty quickly. I have ported a few intakes for local people and 30 gets me a weld that looks good, not the best I have seen but still very clean work.

·
8,978 Posts
my welder simply kicks butt. The best TIG welder I've seen. Everyone goes to this guy, so he can charge more I guess. Even on the crappiest of the aluminum castings that a regular welder would give up on, he's made a perfect bead. It's amazing.
-Thomas

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Thats probably the difference. If the intake was going to be sitting on top of a show car or a prized engine I could understand the price hike. For my needs the 30 bucks outweighs the need for a primo bead.

On my 4.6....Id probably be stopping by his shop. :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info, As for future mods I I'm planning on working my way down the engine. Also I've got an extra TB and I was looking at It and I seen a Ridge on it, I guess It would be wise to Get rid of that???

·
8,978 Posts
AEDM8 said:
Thats probably the difference. If the intake was going to be sitting on top of a show car or a prized engine I could understand the price hike. For my needs the 30 bucks outweighs the need for a primo bead.

On my 4.6....Id probably be stopping by his shop. :)
well I like doing things nice for the customer too, thats the big factor in my reasoning for going with him. Well...that and the fact he's right down the block from me. :D

Trevorbird, check out my for sale thread:

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=61390

-Thomas

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Flow numbers Thomas, for both?

·
8,978 Posts
hah like I have money to spend on a flow bench. Rich was talking about maybe having me send him some stock and halfshafted throttle bodies I do so I could get info, he has a flow bench, but that still requires machining a plate the same shape as the exit of the throttle body, which is expensive. So maybe in the future.

halfshafted stock throttle bodies are good for stock or lightly modded cars. But the best thing I do for the v6 is sell larger throttle bodies, which undoubtedly flow more air. I have a 60mm upgrade and a 65mm upgrade.

-Thomas

·
8,978 Posts
hmm yeah, sorry about that, it'll be clean in a few minutes here.
-Thomas

1 - 13 of 13 Posts