TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before everyone tells me to upgrade to a PI or newer NPI lets think about this. I have some time on my hands and was wondering if it would be possible to port a 94/5 intake. It is all aluminum(I think) so it would be more desirable than a plastic intake. Has anyone ever tried this before? Any advice?

I figure even if the gains are minimal, it is free and I will evjoy doing it.

Thanks alot everyone
Will

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Would I also be able to port my WHOLE upper intake elbow to match this?

I would evuantually like to port my intake, upper intake elbow, and install my halfshafted 70mm tb and some ported heads

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Rich95xr7 was doing something with one of the old-school intakes. I wonder if he's made any progress or what.
-Rob

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have spoken to him before, he said until he has the right resources it is going to take some time. I wanted to see if I can do it myself. If things have changed since then Thomas let me know.

Thanks everyone
Will

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Thomas and I are working on the same thing, basically. Unless you have access to a mill and some raw aluminum, it's not something you can do yourself, scrap the '95 intake, because there is no way you could afford to have someone do all the work I'm doing to this intake, and it's not even known whether it's going to flow enough air yet. From what I was told, the main problem is the plenum volume on the '95 intake, which is not an easy thing to add, trust me. There's also some really tight turns into the cylinder head, which doesn't look too promising, but I'm still working it, just got kind of sidetracked for a little while, but I'll be back on it pretty soon. I'm actually the one who let Thomas in on what I was doing, and I'll probably be machining him the spacer if mine works OK.

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
nah, rich stole my idea :)

Actually I'd been thinking the same thing, but only vague pictures in my head. Rich had a plan and the acess to milling. I was a few seps behind. But my main focus is the 3.8 stuff, and I'm going to be doing an intake for that before I do for the 4.6.

BUT I am still porting elbows and throttle bodies.

-Thomas

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
On that note, I ordered the BBK 75mm Throttle Body for mine, so I just need the intake neck from you Thomas.

·
8,978 Posts
I'll trade you an intake elbow for crediting the intake spacer to my name :)

jk, you got it.

-Thomas

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks alot guys, I know it may be very difficult but I may still try an attempt at it when I have the time. I have a few friends that could help me so we will see what happens.

I think I speak for everyone here when I say good luck!! If you guys could make this work you would have a very desirable part on your hands.

Will

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
mylittleblackbird said:
sounds like me and a certain pair of cylinder heads I have sitting right next to me...
Yeah, lol. Lets see how we both do.:thumbsup:

Will

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
The porting isn't a problem, RichardM did that years ago, with mediocre results. When I started this, I emailed him about it, and he basically said the gains weren't worth the time. I'm not trying to disuade you against it, but before you start, find a good welder who can TIG aluminum, and show him the intake, and ask him how much he'd charge to TIG the bottom back on. Now, factory in the spacer cost, however you go about it, but I've probably got 30 hours on the mill, and have gone through about 4 blanks before I got one that I was happy with. Now double that welding cost, because you have to pay him to weld the bottom of the intake twice. If you don't have access to this type of equipment, like I do, you'd probably come out cheaper getting a PI intake, EGR tube and all the equipment associated with the swap.

·
8,978 Posts
Will3799 said:
Thanks alot guys, I know it may be very difficult but I may still try an attempt at it when I have the time. I have a few friends that could help me so we will see what happens.

I think I speak for everyone here when I say good luck!! If you guys could make this work you would have a very desirable part on your hands.

Will
If Rich or I were to get this finished and think about selling it on the market, the cost of it would end up costing just as much as, but most likely more than a PI intake swap. It's more of a "do it yourself to save cost" since you dont have to pay yourself for time invested like you would buying it as a product.
-Thomas

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thomas,

Thats exactly why I want to try and do it.

Even if it still flows less than the PI intake, if it is better than stock and free its great. I am starting to do alot of these projects (ie halfshafting throttle body, porting upper intake elbow, porting exhaust manifolds) Thanks for the help

Will

1 - 16 of 16 Posts