TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is porting and polishing a good idea, and what kind of gains can I expect? Is this something that I can do myself?

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
10-15hp at the fly, if done right, if wrong you can expect -5 to -15 at the wheels lol, its something that should be left to the professionals with flow benches

·
Registered
147 Posts
Not somthing I would recommend doing yourself. I had my heads built and Cleaned up by Nickmckinney.
He does some great work with the heads.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
You can use 60 grit on the intake to clean up any roughness or casting lines, but don't be taking out any significant amount of material. The flow bench is not a exact predictor of performance with the motor running. Many, many people have spent decades learning all the quirks of head porting, every casting has it's own issues and solutions.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Leave the swirl dam alone - I lost 5CFM down low and 2CFM up high just by laying it back slightly.

You can get 200CFM out of the intake port at 550 lift with a stock swirl dam on a stock 3.55 bore, and having the entrance to the port the same size as stock (read no gasket matching crap) The port is not the limiter at the 200CFM level anymore, its the valve and chamber.

You can gain 20CFM on the exhaust before touching the port, and after that its an uphill battle to get more and a downhill roll to lose it quickly again. Really and truly you can lose faster touching the exhaust port than anywhere else on these heads.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts