TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, my first post on the 3.8 forum. I recently switched from having the 4.6 to a 3.8. You can read all about it here ..

Anyway, since I'm quite unfamiliar with the 3.8, I have a few questions:

- Does the 3.8 have the 4R70W tranny? So do I still have to worry about it going bork?
- Would it make sense to put a dennis chip in a 3.8? I was planning to do that on my 4.6, but never got around doing it.
- Any other tips and tricks I might be interested in as a fairly seasoned tbird owner (5 years), but not familiar with the 3.8?

·
Registered
974 Posts
just throw it away.......... :D nah....I'm just messing with you........I have no idea about the 3.8's besides they blow headgaskets like a mofo

·
Premium Member
2,976 Posts
95BLKLSC said:
just throw it away.......... :D nah....I'm just messing with you........I have no idea about the 3.8's besides they blow headgaskets like a mofo
that comment is PARTIALLY correct... the 96 and the 97 do not have headgasket issues

·
Premium Member
8,978 Posts
Litning said:
that comment is PARTIALLY correct... the 96 and the 97 do not have headgasket issues

Well, they do, but they are a much less frequent occurance. I woudlnt really worry about it, just take care of the cooling system and you shouldnt have any worries.

I wouldn't put a Dennis anything in my car. SCT or FordChip are good companies, Pete at FordChip has a very powerful supercharged 3.8 mustang so he knows his stuff about the Ford v6.

If you want the power of the 4.6 back, I would suggest 3.73 rear differential gears with traction lock. It will give you that 4.6 torque that you're used to.

Yes, you have the 4r70w transmission. the 97's had a fairly decent transmission, though not as good as the late 98+'s. I would do a JMod to it, update the accumulator pistons and spring, then add a transmission cooler, and then you should be set, and your tranny should hold up for a very long time.

If you're interested in any more performance check out "The 3 Degrees of Power Adding on the 3.8L!" thread stickied at the top of this forum. That should get you started.

-Thomas

1 - 6 of 6 Posts