TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Guys i did a search on this but i wanted to ask you how exactly do you know if the pump is going bad. I noticed last night in my drive way there was a small wet spot on the front passenger side of the car then this morning i noticed it in the same spot. So i turned it on and let it sit for alittle while but still couldnt see were its leaking meaning its not and obvious leak :) There is a noise i can kinda hear by it but what the biggest thing you would look for if its going bad?? oh and if it is bad can i use the 99-04 gt pump as a replacement. I read that too but i just wanna confirm it

thanks
Matt

·
The Parts Guy
7,305 Posts
If it looks like it's leaking coolant near the water pump, I usually just go ahead and replace it. Water pumps are cheap, and are pretty easy to change on a 4.6L.

IIRC, you can use the 99+ water pump.

-Rod

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
racecougar said:
If it looks like it's leaking coolant near the water pump, I usually just go ahead and replace it. Water pumps are cheap, and are pretty easy to change on a 4.6L.

IIRC, you can use the 99+ water pump.

-Rod
Pretty easy? On our cars it is the easiest thing to change. Remove the belt, remove the bolts using a ratchet, smack it lightly with a hammer, scotch brite the bore put a little oil or wd40 on the o-ring,put the new waterpump in,tighten the bolts, put the belt back on, remove the Temp sensor on the front of the intake, insert a funnel and fill, I would change the t-stat at the same time however and drain all of the coolant. It takes longer to warm the engine than it does to install the pump. Refilling is easier if you put a speed hole in the t-stat. Make sure you don't have air in the intake or you will get faulty readings from the sensor.
Alan

·
Registered
324 Posts
Mattscoug94 said:
I noticed last night in my drive way there was a small wet spot on the front passenger side of the car then this morning i noticed it in the same spot.
Your description sounds more like condensation from your airconditioning
system. The location you gave of a small wet spot on the front passenger
side of the car is typical of where water collects and puddles beneath our
cars. From what you describe I don't think you have a problem.

Chris

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I havent been using my ac in about 3 months its been like 10 up here in WI so i dont think its gonna be that :) I'm gonna change the pump first and see if it solves it. oh ya dirty dog i just changed the t-stat like 2 months ago so i really am not gonna futz with that but any good pointers on now letting air in the system and if i accidently do what the best way to get it out thanks guys

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Your A/C system is used for the deforst cycle as well, so it will cause condensation, just an FYI. If you have lots of miles on your engine, it might be a good idea to change out the pump just for insurance purposes if you want, it's very easy. I think I got mine for less than $50. Just to make sure though, run your motor for a while, like driving for 15 minutes or so with your defrost on then pop your hood and check the A/C lines. Also check the front cover around the water pump for slight leakage too. That should be able to pin point your leakage problem.

Joe

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well i took a good look at it before i did anything tonight and i decided to leave it. I think it might be leaking when it sits out in the cold for awhile and i think the culprate might be the cheap a** hose clamps so i'm gonna change them tomorrow. I spun the pump and i found out its ok. so for the moment i'm gonna leave it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts