TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, engine idles fine now, finished with some tie rods and tie rod ends, and I took it out to see how it felt. Steering was much improved I was pleased, however then the tach dropped out to zero, the car was still running and I could shift gears and still have power, then I turned around to go back home, car died. Then it took me about 6 attempts at starting the car to get it going again, tach came back on, got it almost home and it died again while it was running. Got it cranked again while still moving and got it in the driveway. Just changed the plugs wires and coil and cleaned the MAF. Not sure about the IAC also I just changed a few vac lines but I dont know how that would make the tach reading drop out...someone had metioned previously that the dis or eec could cause this though, was wondering what you guys thought. Could I just apply some heat sink compound? Thanks
Jonathan

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
Sounds like either the ignition control module, or the crank sensor. I would lean towards the ignition control module. It's the little square grey piece by the AC compressor. If its cracked moisture would get in and ruin it. Otherwise sometimes they just burn out over time.
-Thomas

·
Registered
630 Posts
check the wires going to the cam shaft sensor they might beshowing wire.... if so they might have grounded out and killed the engine??? does your rpm tach bounce up and down??

·
Registered
27 Posts
baturner0

I had/have 2 - sc's with tach jumping, no power, power, low idle, dieing.....replaced the DIS, problem solved, both run great:D:D

·
5,650 Posts
check the wires going to the cam shaft sensor they might beshowing wire.... if so they might have grounded out and killed the engine??? does your rpm tach bounce up and down??
The camshaft sensor has nothing to do with ignition or the tach. It is solely for fuel injector synchronization.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, anyways I replaced the cam sensor and I greased the DIS....everything looks good, still getting a few codes though, different issue though...thanks for all the advice.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts