TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just brousing along the internet and saw the engine I want to put in my 4.6 96 bird! I believe I shall get a donor 2002 f-350 superduty 7.3L 275hp 520ft-lb torque(at 1600rpm) Turbo Diesel. Anyone else do this engine swap?! Think I'd need a new hood? I could use all the insight (hehe, yea right)

·
Registered
249 Posts
New hood?? Yeah let's try possible 8" cowl. If you really want torque drop in a 351W. That will be more than enough hassle and money in itself.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Other things to consider is weight. It will be a lot heavier, and also will not work with your trans, so another heavier trans. Next is the RPM range difference of the engines, and the highway speeds it will give you. Typical stock V8 peak RPM 4500-5000. Typical diesel 2200-2800 RPMs. So this will drop your top speed to what you cruised at before. The vehicles that use these have much different diameter wheels/tires. You would need very tall tires, and a very high ratio gear rear end to do this. Another thing is diesel engines do not like short trips for many reasons...

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I'm trying to visualize this - a '94 'Bird on 35" swamper tires, with a winch bumper and a turbo diesel under the top half a new VW bug for a hood.... What would you call it? Big Foot? Naw that's been done... Big 'Bird?? Naw that too ;)

Where's those guys that know Photoshop when you need them...?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was just joking around hehe, I don't think anyone has the sense to do this, it would be so ridiculous. I mean, come on, 7.3l Diesel in a thunderchicken lol?

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
You'd be surprized at what some people will do to their cars. One of my friends thinks I should drop my SHO's engine (the one for sale) in my bird. Besides it making too little torque, I'd have to get either an A4ld trans, or modify a bitsomushi tranny.

:uppoint:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts