TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on most FWD cars,there are 2 metal arms that go from the shock towers to the front radiator support,well I was bored and went to the junk yard and took 2 of those arms off a 89 oldsmobile cutlass supreme,on the t-bird there is one drilled hole on each side,I used those and the 2 outer bolts on the radiator support and it fit perfectly,I took it for a test drive and it helped quite a bit,probably not as good as a actual FSTB but if anyone is looking for a really cheap suspension upgrade this is it,the only modifying you need to do is grind down the arms for the hood supports so they dont hit,I have no clearance issues what so ever,the hood closes fine after the grinding for the hood supports,let me know what you guys think

·
Super Moderator
12,663 Posts
Could you post some pictures?

·
Registered
123 Posts
yeah,I was actually getting ready to go put them back on(I hand polished them) lol,I will get pictures up in a couple of minutes

http://s942.photobucket.com/albums/ad266/durbin91/?action=view&current=media1.jpg
I could only get a pic of the one side cause of lighting issues,but it should do good enough to show people what im talking about

in the picture if you look at the arm up on the shock tower you can see where I had to grind out of the arm to make clearance for the hood support

·
Super Moderator
12,663 Posts
Use the EDIT button. Don't chain post.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so what do you guys think?

·
Registered
123 Posts
"Helped" how?
after I installed them,the front felt tighter,now I have never used a FSTB on my car,or I have drove one with a FSTB so I dont know how much that improves,in my opinion,this is helps the suspension over stock,I have had these on for about a year now,and no damage to anything.

I think that is really close to your positive battery terminal, and it would in all likelihood bend in a front corner collision, possibly contacting your positive battery terminal and shorting out.
I do know what your getting at,the arm sits higher than the battery terminal though and you could always use one of those plastic covers for the terminal.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
so what do you guys think?
I think you now have a well braced radiator support, but you aren't bracing the shock towers.

In that FWD car those supports are needed to brace the radiator support because there is a torque link running back from that same radiator support to the engine and it controls the rocking of the engine/trans under power, etc .

In that case, it's not the shock towers that are braced against a stronger part ... it's the radiator support that's braced against the stronger shock towers.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think you now have a well braced radiator support, but you aren't bracing the shock towers.

In that FWD car those supports are needed to brace the radiator support because there is a torque link running back from that same radiator support to the engine and it controls the rocking of the engine/trans under power, etc .

In that case, it's not the shock towers that are braced against a stronger part ... it's the radiator support that's braced against the stronger shock towers.
thanks for your input,I understand what your getting at,but it does seem to work a little in turns,I dont know if it just squeezes everything so the radiator support or shock towers flex as much or not,but there is a noticeable difference

1 - 10 of 10 Posts