TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, im considering the idea of possibly putting a 5.0 engine in my 94 3.8. ws onderng if anyone could help me. idont really know much about engnes and was not sure on the best year engne to put in and best price to pay for it. is it hard oswap to a 5.0? are there alo of changes that need to be made? any help would be greatly apprecatied.
thank you
russell

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Unless you have made many changes to your Bird, not counting wheels and tires, you would be better off buying a one with 5.0 and selling your 3.8
Blue book on (Dealer selling price)
94 3.8 $5635
94 4.6 $6035
93 5.0 $5625
Your 94 3.8 is worth the same as a 93 5.0 I would try that, unless you have some special reason to keep yours

Note: The V8s have a differant trans, rearend, computer, radiator, Sprimgs, etc, etc, etc.

·
Premium Member
8,978 Posts
the easier thing would be buying a 4.2 stroker off of www.supersixmotorsports.com and building that up, uses same tranny and ALL accessories. it's the same engine! just a bigger displacement and longer stroke. they can get major horsies also. So if your thinking about swapping it, buy a 4.2 block, and while it's out build it up, then throw it in there. you'll be much happier with the time it would take to do it.
-Thomas

·
Registered
607 Posts
Thease are all great ideas. But the questions you should ask yourself is do you have the knowlege, and tools to preform this swap.
Also can you aford to deal without a car while you swap in a new engine. And most of all do you have the $$$$$$?

Jim

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thomas said:
the easier thing would be buying a 4.2 stroker off of www.supersixmotorsports.com and building that up, uses same tranny and ALL accessories. it's the same engine! just a bigger displacement and longer stroke. they can get major horsies also. So if your thinking about swapping it, buy a 4.2 block, and while it's out build it up, then throw it in there. you'll be much happier with the time it would take to do it.
-Thomas
:eek: JESUS!!!

I had no idea that there was even anything out there like that for sale.

If I would have seen that I would have never gotten rid of my base 3.8.

How does all that stuff effect the internals though? and the trans?

·
Premium Member
8,978 Posts
Not Sure what you mean by internals. But the 4.2 is virtually the same with just a bigger bore heads, that is, unless you get the split ports on there in which the intake looks different and is much bigger (need a cowl hood). Oh yes it's possible. A few on here have done it. I'm excited to get it done on mine, YEE HAW I can't wait. I'm not a hick I just sound like one. Nice ground effects on that monster wagon by the way.

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
5.0wannabe said:
hi, im considering the idea of possibly putting a 5.0 engine in my 94 3.8. ws onderng if anyone could help me. idont really know much about engnes and was not sure on the best year engne to put in and best price to pay for it. is it hard oswap to a 5.0? are there alo of changes that need to be made? any help would be greatly apprecatied.
thank you
russell
easiest and quickest and cheepest way to get a 5.0 into a bird is to sell your car and buy a 91-93 bird with a 5.0 already in it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thomas said:
Not Sure what you mean by internals. But the 4.2 is virtually the same with just a bigger bore heads, that is, unless you get the split ports on there in which the intake looks different and is much bigger (need a cowl hood). Oh yes it's possible. A few on here have done it. I'm excited to get it done on mine, YEE HAW I can't wait. I'm not a hick I just sound like one. Nice ground effects on that monster wagon by the way.
Actually when I said internals I meant pistons and rods and what not.

Thanks for the complement.

·
Cougar Pilot
3,443 Posts
You all may say to get a '91-'93 Bird, but a big thing about them years is the interior. I hate mine, it falls apart, it's dull. It also lacks airbags, something not everyone wants though. The automatic seatbelts are a pain. I personally like the '94-95 styling on the outside better too, somewhat refined. So if you want a '94 or newer with a 5.0L there's only one way to get it, make one yourself. If this is a realistic option for yourself of course. You just have to think if you want that 5.0 bad enough. I agree with everyone on the 4.2L V-6, VERY cool, and alot easier. Oh yeah and it will run with a stock 5.0L I think, with money it will beat V-8's...fun fun

1 - 9 of 9 Posts