TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, as you know, I'm a 5.0 owner. I've been around a few 4.6 cars as my brother owned one at one point as did one of my nephew's. Now one of my younger nephew's has found a low mileage 95 Cougar. 4.6 car, with 67k miles. Prior owner believed he blew the head gaskets. Tore the car apart and never got it back together.

Those are not known for blowing had gaskets, more the intake right? I said if he can buy it for $300, he can get the heads checked and I'll let him have the PI intake off my parts car. Then he's just in it for getting the heads checked, new valve seals and gaskets. If his heads are bad, he can have mine.

Anything we should look for besides obviously the cylinders need to look good and motor needs to turn free.

Thanks, Seth

·
Super Moderator
7,769 Posts
How far did he get tearing it apart? If the car has been sitting with the heads off, then the motor is likely done. If he just pulled the intake and a few accessories off, it might be OK. Either way, if you can get it for $300, even if you have to drop another motor in the car, you would still be into it for around $1000, which isn’t bad.

Reactions: Zep5.0

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,955 Posts
95s arent known for blowing either (94/5s use all aluminum intakes) Most of the time headgaskets are misdiagnosed when the oil filter adapter gasket is what is making milkshake oil, or smoke out the tailpipe which is very common with valve seals and mistaken for coolant. there than the aforementioned oil consumption, 94/5 engines are pretty rock solid. other issue is the EGR passages through the manifold tend to clog with carbon.

Edit, I agree with Mike if its all disassembled, sitting outside especially the open cylinders are probably pitted or rusted solid. I wouldn't bother putting put it back together even if they are good, PI heads and PI intake time

Transmission is the most troublesome part, make sure the fluid is red and doesnt smell burnt, make sure it goes through all gears without slippage and look for TC shudder as you drive it

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's what I said for a price. 300 bucks is worth a gamble. My parts car runs, but stutters and smokes. If nothing else, maybe I can chase down the issues on mine and we can swap engines.

He's a high school kid, so funds are tough to come by. I only want the body off my parts car, so if giving him some parts and helping get a rust free car back on the road takes a bit of my time, I'm cool with that.

And, I do assume the heads are off, but don't know how long that's been. It's a short drive, so worth a look.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts