TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering that I've been able to blow out the Moog strut rod bushings in a couple weekends of racing, and now that I'm switching to R-comps, I don't want to have to replace the dang things every week. I've ordered a set of actual urethane bushings for a '67-72 Mustang. I don't have any pics right now (at work until Monday). But they do look quite similar. Looks like the actual strut rod on the old Mustang is marginally smaller, but very, very close. I'll grab some pics Monday. But maybe, with a little luck this could work.

·
Super Moderator
16,766 Posts
I've been looking into Mustang bushings as well, I wrote down the dimensions of the polys from my friends 69 cougar build(i'll post them if I can find the paper I put them on). Though my plan is to go with the Maier delrins which act as more of a giant helm joint when assembled. Poly will be too stiff to allow the suspension articulate without binding. They usually crack apart after a while or even break the strut rod

·
Registered
570 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,766 Posts
^That^

Something needs to flex in the suspension and the stiff bushing moved it to the rod. I suspect it would be more likely the bushing would fail on these cars since our rods are beefier and still rubber bushed at the LCA (vintage mustangs are bolted solid) but it's still a risk.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I tried poly, with the OEM washers flipped, and they didn't last very long, and I don't think it's a good idea. I definitely wouldn't use the flat washers that come in the Poly kits that vendors sell for Thunderbirds.

I've gone back to the OEM bushings, which are still available and pretty cheap, but I've made stainless steel sleeves that are far better than the stock sleeves.

·
Registered
570 Posts

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
My 95 bird had the poly strut rod bushings and didn't break anything in the factory configuration.

) > - < (

However I could see a problem mounting them like this:

( > - < )

Because it would limit the motion and put the stress on the rod instead of the bushings just like that mustang did.

·
Registered
570 Posts
My 95 bird had the poly strut rod bushings and didn't break anything in the factory configuration.

) > - < (

However I could see a problem mounting them like this:

( > - < )

Because it would limit the motion and put the stress on the rod instead of the bushings just like that mustang did.
Chris,

This - ( > - < ) is the factory configuration with the OEM bushings.

·
Super Moderator
10,319 Posts
...it would limit the motion and put the stress on the rod instead of the bushings...
I always wondered why the washers were on like that...

I've heard of some of the aftermarket ones pulling thru at the lca, but a broken shaft is a whole different ballgame, lol.

A set of those spherical delrin bushings at both the front support and at the control arm would really improve the operation of the strut rod.

DLF, think that's do-able, or nuts? :)

There might need to be a rubber layer or two in the front to tackle some of the shock moments...

I wonder if these are one of the parts that Duffy talks about allowing the suspension to deform to match the loads...

·
Registered
570 Posts
Anything is "do-able", but why bother? I suppose if I was going through a set of OEM bushings every year, then I'd be motivated. 60-100K miles is plenty durable, if you ask me. The OEM bushings are cheap, still available, and I've replaced the weak link, the sleeves.

People have problems using the aftermarket replacements, at both ends of the strut rod. I'll stick to the OEM parts until I need to come up with better replacements.

·
Super Moderator
10,319 Posts
I'll stick to the OEM parts until I need to come up with better replacements.
True that. :)

I'm just looking ahead.

·
Super Moderator
16,766 Posts
Yep me too, I'm planning on replacing the factory strut rod bushings this year @ 100k miles. I have my doubts about the OEMs still being around after another 100k 10+ years from now when I'd have to replace them again.

I'm not worried about isolation, there will still be the rubber at the LCA side as well as the main LCA bushing at the K.

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
Yep me too, I'm planning on replacing the factory strut rod bushings this year @ 100k miles. I have my doubts about the OEMs still being around after another 100k 10+ years from now when I'd have to replace them again.

I'm not worried about isolation, there will still be the rubber at the LCA side as well as the main LCA bushing at the K.
Im all for the future ideas go for it!!!

DLF I do also agree with you but you but I think the bushings themselves wont be around for more than a few more years so Id horde a few sets on top of that, like a lifetiem supply for myself.

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
I don't know your name, but I better not see a show of hoarders where a guy from Arizona has a room FULL of bushings for a MN12.
I personally have a set that have a good 70k of life left, maybe more. I cant bring myself to buy anything for it right now because its working fine and isnt going to ever rust either. So n you wont see me on that show, I hate too much clutter drives me nuts. I just went through my rooms and tossed all my bags of piss and feces recently so Im all good.

·
Resident drifter
649 Posts
Be careful with the Poly bushings....
The LF strut rod pulled through the newly installed poly bushing on my car when I was bedding in the brakes. I put on aftermarket rubber ones (which are stiffer than the poly ones) and have had no problems. I have also had a poly diff carrier bushing fail, so I made delrin ones and have had no problems. This experience leads me to believe that rubber or delrin is the only way to go with stock style suspension bushings. That being said, the way the strut rods work on these cars, rubber is the better choice. I'm not sure if delrin would even work. A heim or monoball would be ideal, but that would involve serious work.

-steve

·
Super Moderator
16,766 Posts
If you look at the delrins I linked earlier that's basically what they are. It's a 4 piece per side design where the delrin portion forms a ball and the aluminum portion forms a cage when assembled. It articulates exactly like a helmjoint would rather than being just a solid bushing.

·
Resident drifter
649 Posts
That actually looks pretty sweet. Didn't notice it before. As long as the hole size is correct that would be pretty awesome.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts