TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I use a 97 MN12 4.6 engine harness and computer in a 96 MN12 4.6 or would I have to do rewiring? I'm just wondering incase my 97 gets totalled and I have to swap everything into my 96. Trying to plan for the worst.

Thanks,
Chris

P.S. I wasn't sure of which subforum to list this in so mods feel free to move this if needed.

·
Super Moderator
9,255 Posts
AFAIK it's identical.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Question on engine swap from a 1999 Merc Marquis 4.6 into a 1997 LX. I have a shot at buying a 4.6 with 80K from a 1999 Merc Marquis. The owner says it is a NPI and will change out without problem. I need a quick answer and could not find any on a quick search. Are there any issues I need to be concerned with?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
If you have no other plans for the car besides driving it then stick with the npi. If you go pi you don't need a tune but its highly recommended.

·
Lightly Seasoned
717 Posts
I don't know what a NPI is, or PI for that matter. I looked for a definition but didn't find one. Help?
Non Power Improved and Power Improved, 2000 and later 4.6 had the Power Improved heads and intake for better performance, hope it helps a little

·
Super Moderator
9,255 Posts
Depends on model year. 01+ for every 4.6 2v; 99+ for the GT Mustangs and 5.4 2vs.

·
Registered
62 Posts
So if I understand correctly, all 4.6 after 2000 are Power Improved and those before 2000 are non power improved? If this is correct, pre-2000 should be OK? Is any significant tuning required to use PI vs NPI?

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Not correct. You can get PI (Windsor) in 99-00 Mustang GTs and Pickups. All Grand Marquis/Crown Vics/Town Cars/Mustang GTs had PIs (Romeo) 2001 and up. You start getting into some 3 valves starting in 2005.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts