TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious, was driving tonight and it really bugs me that when I drive, the speedo is covered by my hand. On a stick it would be ok cause I like to see the tach, but for driving the auto I would like to see the speedo..any way to swap the tach and speedo spots?

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Not that I know of. I would think that the printed circuit board that connects everything on the back wouldn't allow that. Pretty sure it's stuck there permanently, unless maybe a custom board could be made??

·
Registered
798 Posts
No, you couldn't just switch them out right, since the little connectors would still be sending the Tach and Speedo Signals no matter what.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
If you have enough time, patience, knowledge and money then most anything is possible when it comes to cars.
This wouldn't be an easy single afternoon type job, but far from impossible. Why not buy a spare cluster and start playing?

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I think its possible ... but like Darrin said ... you wont be able to reset your trip unless maybe drill a whole for it. But i think if its dedicated buses directly to each guage, which i also believe both are 3 or 4 pin, and line up, just get the wiring diagrams to the cluster, switch the wires in the connector going into the cluster so that the positions for the guage buses are inverse.

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
3,186 Posts
couldnt you just cut and splice/solder the wires. like cut the speedo wire on the harness and connect it to the tach input and cut the tach wire on the harness and connect it to the speedo input? might be more wires involved but it should be simple if you did it this way. just get the pin out diagrams for the two wiring hanesses that plug into the back of the cluster. I know they each have there own wires cuz when i swapped out my crappy 97 gauges for the 96 and older gauges i had to rewire it all. its really easy if you get the pin out diagrams. let me know if you need them and i can find them, i still got them i think.

Frank

·
Registered
6 Posts
Both gages "insert" into the gage board, they have pins that go in. Shapes of rears of these gages I assume are different, they have to be, so you can't just swap them. Take both gages out, open, swap face plate and motor from one to another, put them back. Now you'll have to rewire, cut all tracers that go to the gage, then do same to another. Take wires, preferably of different colors, and start soldering to tracers from one gage (before cut) to tracers of another gage (after cut, closer to gage), then do the same to the another gage. Other electronics on the gage board that associates with each gage will complicate things, and you'll have to think of stuff like that as gage and these circuitry are one unit. That's my idea.

Fernando

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Try installing a 97 T-bird panel or a Taurus panel. Probably be easier than switching them around. And if a 97 can be fitted with a 95-96 panel, don't know why it wouldn't work the other way around.

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
Palmguy said:
Didn't some early SC or something have the tach on the left and the speedo on the right?
No, but they did have the voltage and fuel gauges swapped.

·
Registered
178 Posts
While on the subject of speedos. Where can I find the 145MPH speedo?? I saw a '94 t-bird 4.6L on a website and it had the 145MPH speedo. Do those come stock in those cars??? About how much would I be looking at to purchase one?

Clay

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
IIRC, the 145 speedo is from a 94-95 SC Thunderbird. I don't know how much they run new, but I've seen some for sale here a few times, I think around $50 or so for the cluster.

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
3,186 Posts
a new 145 speedometer is over $200. i got a whole 94-95 sc gauge cluster with 145 speedometer for $75 from a junkyard.

Frank

1 - 15 of 15 Posts