TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at picking up a mint looking Mark VII for 1200-1300 this week or next.
Just gotta get the money.

Thing is loaded too.
Car phone, moon roof, leather seats, only cosemtic issue is a little rust spot on the trunk lid.

1992 LSC.

Wish me luck :D

·
Super Moderator
9,177 Posts
Looks good cosmetically. What year is it? Do some more digging, you'll be glad you did. It's easy to get into the hype of a new car and you can get so swept up in the excitement that you overlook things.

Be sure to give the engine compartment a good rundown. Be sure the transmission fluid is bright red, not orange or brown. If it is, DO NOT get the car unless you plan on having the transmission rebuilt immediately. If it checks out, make sure all the gears work from the manual lever, and check the grommet for the TV cable at the throttle body to ensure it is intact.

Try for an 88 or later; engine horsepower went from 150 to 225. From what I understand, the 5.0s are pretty stout, but I was told that they have a tendency to leak oil from the valve covers or the rear of the intake near the firewall. Check the power steering pump for fluid buildup, I was also told they tend to leak.

Other than that... make sure the sunroof doesn't leak, be sure to check the underside for rust and the trans pan area for leakage. Check the air ride system as well, air bags leak and deflate, killing compressors.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks good cosmetically. What year is it? Do some more digging, you'll be glad you did. It's easy to get into the hype of a new car and you can get so swept up in the excitement that you overlook things.

Be sure to give the engine compartment a good rundown. Be sure the transmission fluid is bright red, not orange or brown. If it is, DO NOT get the car unless you plan on having the transmission rebuilt immediately. If it checks out, make sure all the gears work from the manual lever, and check the grommet for the TV cable at the throttle body to ensure it is intact.

Try for an 88 or later; engine horsepower went from 150 to 225. From what I understand, the 5.0s are pretty stout, but I was told that they have a tendency to leak oil from the valve covers or the rear of the intake near the firewall. Check the power steering pump for fluid buildup, I was also told they tend to leak.

Other than that... make sure the sunroof doesn't leak, be sure to check the underside for rust and the trans pan area for leakage. Check the air ride system as well, air bags leak and deflate, killing compressors.
1992 LSC.

And the tranny was rebuilt 33k miles ago, she has the receipt.
140k miles, and she said it leaks nothing, and burns nothing.
But I still plan on looking at everything under the hood.
And I plan on bringing my neighbor, who has owned 2 Mark VII's and knows what to look for in them.

Just gotta talk out a price with her, and see what happens.

Also the bags don't leak, and if they do my neighbor has a spare set of bags.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Original Paint is still Like New. Burgundy Cloth and Leather Interior. Clean, like-new carpet.

Moon Roof, Seats, Radio, Power Antenna, Air Conditioner all work.

Sony 10-Disk CD player. Built-in car phone. Wheel locks.

Runs very strong, yet quiet. Original 147,127 miles.

Battery still in warranty. Alternator recently replaced.

Viper Security Alarm System includes clearly understood verbal warnings/messages.

This beauty is in great condition. Dash is like new - no cracks. No tears, burns or holes inside.

Well-maintained, no accidents, no dents or scrapes. Silver dollar-sized rusted area on trunk lid.

ABS computer, brake pads and calipers were recently replaced. New thermostat.

The fuel pump and a leaking brake line were replaced this summer.

Driver's window needs its new motor installed. I have the motor. Some fuses need to be replaced.

Exhaust system is two years old. Completely rebuilt transmission was installed 33,000 miles ago.

2 sets of keys including one set of never-used Original Keys. Original manuals. Receipts.
That's the advert she posted.

Hopefully I can get the money, and look at it this week sometime after school.

·
pendejo
430 Posts
Lookie there... it has foglight covers. My wife always wanted a set of them for her LSC...
How much of the air suspension has been replaced at this point? That car is just at that magic age where it probably needs one of everything.
Just saw you already mentioned airbags, If the air dryer hasn't been replaced I'd do that right away. I had one pop pretty randomly. The car had oversized tires. Luckily I was in a parking lot.

Check that belt trim for any sign of rust, it thrives there and could be rotted right through and barely noticable.

And I've noticed it really needs a set of turbine wheels, my wifes '88 LSC has a set, you should buy that one too as a driveable parts car.

·
Super Moderator
16,821 Posts
Key areas to check for rust on a Fox chassis would be the frame rails, especially fronts, shock towers where they attach to the frame rails on both sides, quarter panel/rocker panel seams (like the MN12), and the bottom rear overhangs at the quarter panel pinch seam

Good part about it if there's any issues with the airbags, for a fox chassis a coil conversion is really easy to piece together with nothing but used parts.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Nice!

Is this car older then you?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice!

Is this car older then you?
By a year xD

I found another with a GTC kit, apperantly put on it new?
He said its not a GTC, but has badging and stuff.
Needs ride height sensors and one rotor.
I offered him 1200 for it without the 20"rims.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
By a year xD

I found another with a GTC kit, apperantly put on it new?
He said its not a GTC, but has badging and stuff.
Needs ride height sensors and one rotor.
I offered him 1200 for it without the 20"rims.
Its probably been beat to hell, I'd much rather have the Original Owner grandma LSC.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Its probably been beat to hell, I'd much rather have the Original Owner grandma LSC.
He's the Second owner, and it looks decently clean.
Its an 89 with the GTC Kit, which is pretty rare..

Its got ARE 15" rims for winter, which is what I plan on getting it with.
Hopefully I get either car.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Grammy's LSC is what I'd go for, what she asking for it?

The combo is damn near bulletproof, 302 HO, AOD trans, and a 8.8 rear on a fox chassis. Yea, it's just a bigger, more luxurious mustang.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Grammy's LSC is what I'd go for, what she asking for it?

The combo is damn near bulletproof, 302 HO, AOD trans, and a 8.8 rear on a fox chassis. Yea, it's just a bigger, more luxurious mustang.
I told her 1200....
She said "Let me get a car to replace the mark, I'd be more willing to sell then."

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just found an 89 Mark with less miles, and only costs a grand, but price is negotiable :D

Gonna talk her down a bit, and see how low I can get her...
Possibly talk to the lady with the one in MA and see if I could take a few parts off hers.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Found another Mark o_O
Its a 1989, 98k miles.
Sits low on one side (adjusting the height sensors maybe?), O/D engages a bit hard, and paint looks rough in a couple places.

I offered her 600 and said I can go a bit higher on it, but not too much with those slight issues.

Trunk lid looks rough, paint looks rough in some places, and the exhaust looks...err...not stock? lol

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
That first one looks better. This one has rust and someones changed the exhaust. Any mods done to it? The trunk lid looks tweaked and it looks like it will need some rust repair behind pass door and both quarters. Hows it look under the hood? Hows it run? 98k is low millage for an 89 have you verified if the odometer works?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That first one looks better. This one has rust and someones changed the exhaust. Any mods done to it? The trunk lid looks tweaked and it looks like it will need some rust repair behind pass door and both quarters. Hows it look under the hood? Hows it run? 98k is low millage for an 89 have you verified if the odometer works?
Haven't gone to look at it yet, but once I do I can snap a few pictures.
And non stock exhaust isn't a big deal at all for me, not sure on the Odometer working or not.
And it looks like just surface rust on it.
The trunk lid looks like junk though, probably find another white one somewhere.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts