TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking at getting another winter car because my previous one was an 88 plymouth voyager and its seen better days and is becoming very unreliable.

Ive been looking at all kinds of cars with low miles and a good price, and i keep finding lower mile thunderbirds. Which ill agree isn't my first choice for a winter car but ill only need it for 1 or 2 winters. My plan would be to drive it during the next winter until im done with college then ill be getting a newer year-round daily driver in place of my current summer DD thunderbird.

Then ill have a nice parts car. (which i could already use a few things out of) :)

PS. it would kinda be cool to own two thunderbirds as well.

Let me know what you think.
http://stcloud.craigslist.org/cto/2466557274.html

·
Super Moderator
9,186 Posts
Lol, I was thinking the same thing you are thinking now about this time last year. Then I ended up with the Cougar. Granted I only spent a third what this guy is asking (and on a V6 which I didn't initially want), but I've put a bit over $1000 into the car since then which includes basic maintenance, trans upgrades, paint and basically new suspension from the wheel bearings up. Now I sense head gaskets coming up... It hasn't let me down yet, and while I do miss the V8 power, having the V6 helps keep me out of trouble in the snow I'm sure. Not to mention a boost in MPG.

As far as a winter car, last year I used my old Indy 500 tires on the car (no ABS and an open diff), it managed well enough to get me where I needed to go. This year I'm putting winter tires on it.

I will admit though, even as much as I hate parking the Bird over the winter and not being able to drive it, that fact reversed makes me all the more excited to pull it out of the garage in the springtime knowing it's time to have fun again, having saved it from the salty horrors of another winter. :)

·
It is nice
885 Posts
that seems like a pretty good deal

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
Dont risk a bird get a car that you wouldnt mind if you had a crash as a worst case scenario. I think that bird is too nice to be a winter DD, and a v8 wont help either. YOu need something fwd I hate to say for winter time. AWD is too expensive to justify. RWD is trouble/fun LOL. If you need it for 2 years its better to sell it after you are done with it rather than try to keep it. A parts car will be cheaper by then, these things are going to hit the 20 year old mark for gen2s by then LOL. I cant wait to get my historic plates in 2019 LOL.

·
Super Moderator
9,186 Posts
Funny about winter cars though... My car was originally a Cincinnati car until by dad brought it home in 2005 - as a winter driver. It sat throughout the warm months, yet there was hardly any [severe] rust on it when I took POR-15 to the underside. The rockers are just now starting to rust through, but I'm having them taken care of along with fresh paint over this coming winter. :znanner:

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I only drive RWD in the winter. Good tires is all it takes.
Exactly... good tires makes all the difference. I couldnt believe the diference it made going from my 'ok' 215 70/15's to my new 225 60/16's. The nose would slide all around, and the rear ..... well...... I couldnt keep it in a straight line, but that did make some fun driving. Drove my call all winter long, and unless you live under a rock, you should know how bad of a winter we had here in the northeast. I even took a vid of me driving the bird in the snow after one of the heavy snowstorms as proof of the DD :D

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
I only drive RWD in the winter. Good tires is all it takes.
It doesnt snow where I live, but the mountains (where it does snow) arent that far away. Thats what my 1989 F-150 is for, it doesnt just have one trac-lok, it has two... :D

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I drove my old bird regular all season tires all winter long. I was the only idiot on the road at 4 AM (which I planned on) trying to get home. I made a usually 15 min drive into 40 min and took another hour or so to shovel out a parking spot. Good times.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts