TCCoA Forums banner

5121 - 5140 of 5185 Posts

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
So about that patio cover of mine, I never demoed it because I thought it would still hold. Yea, I was wrong. Everything that's held on by ropes is literally just laying down on the 4x4 beams now. It was holding on "good enough" last time when the winds caused the minor buckling of the single panel, now it's all detatched with the current Santa Ana Winds event. Where there are ropes, the paneling has entirely lifted up. With a good enough gust, the paneling will raise a good 3 - 4 ft before slamming back down. The rope I've used to tie down the paneling is preventing it from lifting as high, but it will still manage to lift about 1 - 2 ft. I have video of it happening, but without posting to YouTube (I don't want to), IDK how to post a video on to the forum.

Aside from the obvious danger of the paneling being ripped off from my house, another reason why I've tied this all down is because directly above the most damaged paneling are my overhead power wires coming into my house. To boot, this paneling is aluminum. If I hadn't tied this down, this would have likely ripped off my house, flung into the air, and tripped the power wires causing an untold amount of damage. For now, I can live with this paneling being damaged and tied down. Once the winds have died down I'll go out there and demo all this once and for all.

The Santa Ana Winds picked up again last night around 6pm and will be going on until at least 10pm tonight. Weather reports state sustained wind speeds of 40MPH with gusts of up to 70MPH are expected until the wind advisory is lifted.

Despite all this damage, I don't think this is much over $1,000 worth of damages, my home owner's insurance deductible. I'll leave this as it is and just rebuild it myself. It's also an opportunity for me to re-build this how I want, and new paneling isn't how I want it built.

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
Ropes not gonna hold .. you know that stuff stretches right ?? … so what you do is toss the bent ones, you'll never bend those ones back into shape. And use the remaining pieces - if your 4x4 is rotted out, just throw in some longer lag bolts / Screws for now to hold it all down until you can get around the replacing the 4x4.

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
Another fun day at work

Attachments

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Ropes not gonna hold .. you know that stuff stretches right ?? … so what you do is toss the bent ones, you'll never bend those ones back into shape. And use the remaining pieces - if your 4x4 is rotted out, just throw in some longer lag bolts / Screws for now to hold it all down until you can get around the replacing the 4x4.
I just need it to hold until this wind is over, and it seems to be. Once the wind is over, I'm going to be demoing all of it. I'm not reusing any of it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
I just need it to hold until this wind is over, and it seems to be. Once the wind is over, I'm going to be demoing all of it. I'm not reusing any of it.

Winds finally died down around midnight last night. Ropes held up just fine. I will be demoing likely this Saturday or Sunday. Ropes will be on until demoing commences.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
The sh!t I see while driving around for work.

This had me rolling.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Which part, ride shotgun carrying a bumper in your lap for someone, or just have a bumper ride shotgun?

·
50 years of Mercury Cougar 1967/2017
1,262 Posts
Thats what you do when you are young and just left the junk yard with any part for your machine. Stick it through any opening available.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
From CES
SAMSUNG THE Wall
  • modular TV architecture can scale up to whatever resolution or size you want
  • this implementation is approximately 13 ft by 23 ft and is made of 64 panels.
  • MTBF is approximately 100000 hours
  • 3 year warranty, 5 year extended warranty available
  • this set-up costs $1.6 million dollars installed and comes with six to eight spare panels. Panels can be swapped out in real time so you'll never miss a game.
  • f*** picture-in-picture. This thing can do picture and picture and picture and picture in picture. Billionaires will be able to play new first-person shooters just like they were playing GoldenEye in the 90s
  • chameleon mode lets you hide the screen when you're not using it like it was a wall.... at the expense of your hundred thousand hour service life and electricity
  • bonus feature: should you get divorced and your wife takes half your assets, you just need to buy a spare media box and you are back in business with two half sized TVs. I'd like to see you do that with your 65 inch LCD.
    20200109_140851.jpg

·
Super Moderator
16,989 Posts
A crisis created by stupid people using technology improperly, solved by technology that couldn’t possibly be more unintuitive and wrong for the human field of vision.

So when a newscast airs a story where a waterhead witness shares a vertical video, does this mean the picture will broadcast sideways and I now have to get off the couch and physically turn my TV on its side?

We should have never left 4:3.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Good news: my korean counterpart says that The Wall has been in the market for 3 years now and seems to be be dropping in cost 30% YoY.

This means that in 22 years, inflation aside, you should be able to pick up this TV for a mere $625.57 ;)

·
Super Moderator
9,260 Posts
This is why my work computer is a pieced-together T60/T61 hybrid, T601F "Frankenpad" :)

In other news.....

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
We should have never left 4:3.
Yeah, maybe before "Letterbox" edition Laserdiscs came out .. nobody wants to see black bars on screen. :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

bonus feature: should you get divorced and your wife takes half your assets, you just need to buy a spare media box and you are back in business with two half sized TVs. I'd like to see you do that with your 65 inch LCD.
65 inch LCD's are cheap these days .. that's how much money you might spend for two hours of consultation for a divorce lawyer. :censored::censored::censored::censored:

This means that in 22 years, inflation aside, you should be able to pick up this TV for a mere $625.57 ;)
Chump change. :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL: You can already do that with a "projector TV"

·
Super Moderator
12,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,139
This is why my work computer is a pieced-together T60/T61 hybrid, T601F "Frankenpad" :)

In other news.....
LOL :rolleyes: Mid-evil torture device or drywall hanger? :unsure:

·
Super Moderator
9,260 Posts
Hah, just a drywall hanger. I took it apart this evening so it can go back to my neighbor. It was in the middle of the room so I figured "eh, what the heck".

5121 - 5140 of 5185 Posts