TCCoA Forums banner

5181 - 5200 of 5220 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,670 Posts
Matt, if you replaced ceramic capacitors with those cde's, that's why you're hearing more noise; the cde's are better caps.

The foil is the best way to fix that, for sure.

I'd say it sounds a bit brighter as well.

·
Super Moderator
17,052 Posts
Matt, if you replaced ceramic capacitors with those cde's, that's why you're hearing more noise; the cde's are better caps.

The foil is the best way to fix that, for sure.

I'd say it sounds a bit brighter as well.
Wow it never occurred to me it could be the new caps, and now in hindsight it makes total sense as the noise would disappear if I rolled down the tone. I knew it couldn’t be my boss soldering that was the problem 😝

This article confirms it too, first result when googling “orange drop RF noise”

I just thought these caps looked cool lol. I guess I’ll do the Explorer too after I paint it, it has the same cap.

·
Super Moderator
10,670 Posts
Those caps have good response well past audio, and most amps do too, so that's why you're hearing it now.

You'll need to do the same shielding on the other guitar; it's always easier to do it all at the same time. :)

I've destroyed the operation of a circuit by using the wrong caps; usually at the urging of bean counters that wanted to save $.05 or so.

·
Super Moderator
7,530 Posts
So Ethan came by the shop today to pick up some stuff and brought my old SC with him. That car is the most glorious POS I have ever ridden in! I had to take a photo op with my 97 and my 90 before he left.

·
Registered
463 Posts
So long as theres another Epic Drive yall will see it too!

·
The Parts Guy
7,330 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,530 Posts
May 1st-3rd. Somewhere in the Ozarks.
Got a link to anything? I haven't seen anything posted on any of the forums about it, or where to sign up.

·
The Parts Guy
7,330 Posts
Got a link to anything? I haven't seen anything posted on any of the forums about it, or where to sign up.

There isn't anywhere to sign up yet, it's still early. Here is a confirmation of what I posted above: The-Epic-Drive

·
Super Moderator
7,530 Posts
Sweet! I hadn't heard anything, and was worried that he wasn't going to do it again after the low turnout last time.

·
Super Moderator
9,318 Posts
Another ticket on one of my tech's timesheets from last week, from a staff member with a sense of humor...

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Something I saw on a drive to the Yucca Valley site last week. It seems that I see lots of cool / weird things going out that way!

·
Super Moderator
10,670 Posts
Al bought a new Bus?!

(Al Florida, our resident short bus driver)

·
Super Moderator
7,530 Posts
Actually took this one a few days ago. Getting my son into original NES! Bonus points if anyone knows the game.

Attachments

·
Administrator
8,059 Posts
One mans trash.......Getting rid of stuff the other day at work and I find this sitting on top of the recycle barrels. Not expecting to find anything inside, I open it up and see it's a Gretsch but it's pretty much stripped. Googled the model and most of what it needs I can find on eBay. No idea if it's any good, figured someone dumped it for a reason. I thought about plugging it into an amp I have to see what happens! Any of our gurus know how to check it out in the shape it's in?

Joe

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Dude, that looks to be a great condition guitar body and case!

Pretty good score, IMO.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
7,530 Posts
Mega Man!
Which one?

As a side note, I just noticed you can see Brandon’s time lapse photo of the solar eclipse hanging on the wall!

·
Super Moderator
17,052 Posts
Tha
One mans trash.......Getting rid of stuff the other day at work and I find this sitting on top of the recycle barrels. Not expecting to find anything inside, I open it up and see it's a Gretsch but it's pretty much stripped. Googled the model and most of what it needs I can find on eBay. No idea if it's any good, figured someone dumped it for a reason. I thought about plugging it into an amp I have to see what happens! Any of our gurus know how to check it out in the shape it's in?

Joe View attachment 37715 View attachment 37716 View attachment 37717 View attachment 37718 View attachment 37719 View attachment 37720
That looks fantastic, Gretsch are my favorite electric hollow bodies! And other than the pickguard, bridge, tailpiece and knobs it actually looks very complete, all electronics are present. That model even goes for about $850 new!

As long as there aren’t any cracks and the neck is straight(and the truss rod works) I dont see any reason it couldn’t be made a solid player. Here’s the bridge it uses(any luthier can install it), the tailpiece I’m not sure but they seem to vary mostly by style, this one appears to be the original.

·
Administrator
8,059 Posts
Thanks Matt! I didn't notice any cracks but I'll give it a closer look later. Total noob question, but how would I know if the truss rod works? One of the things that is missing is the "truss rod cover" on the headstock so I think I'll take a look there! 🎸

Joe

5181 - 5200 of 5220 Posts