TCCoA Forums banner

5241 - 5260 of 5260 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,751 Posts
The only thing I see I don't like is the caps are hanging in the air; I'd put a wire around the body of them, and solder it to the copper ground plane, so they won't vibrate and break the leads in 10 years. :)

Yes, I'm into Capacitor bondage, lol.

You did cover the inside of the cover plate with copper also, right?

That Looks Really Good!

·
Super Moderator
12,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,244
The only thing I see I don't like is the caps are hanging in the air; I'd put a wire around the body of them, and solder it to the copper ground plane, so they won't vibrate and break the leads in 10 years. :)

You did cover the inside of the cover plate with copper also, right?

That Looks Really Good!
Capacitor bondage?!

You sick individual, you! LOL

·
Registered
146 Posts
So I've never used the copper spray on gasket sealer. I wonder if it has enough copper to do the same as foil. Would be neater, and possibly last longer. Just a random idea...

·
Super Moderator
17,139 Posts
There are probably too many chemicals mixed in with the copper particles to maintain continuity across the distance. That’s even a problem in some shielding paint mixes with graphite that are made for guitars. I never could find continuity with my DMM across the cavity past a half inch in my old BC Rich with it from the factory.

The foil is solid and will last forever. I didn’t use the tape sold online, which like paints, guitar specific tapes have a conductive adhesive, which other copper tapes don’t and require soldering at each seam. I used a roll of the thinnest copper sold at hobby lobby with spray adhesive. That stuff is great since you can cut it to size without the need to overlap, other than the sides(I way unnecessarily overkilled it soldering the whole perimeter, just a few dots will do) . It’s wide enough to do a full strat pickguard too!

·
Super Moderator
5,005 Posts
Inducted into it after some resistance?

I bet you get a charge out of it sometimes.

RwP

·
Registered
96 | 4.6
11 Posts
Can't really bring the beer to an event or gift as easily. Tecate has the TCCOA undertones Im looking for in a cervasa :]

XR7 are you going to post some jam for us?

·
Super Moderator
12,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,249
I took this yesterday way down deep in the bowels of the power plant. Some creative (and very talented) individual sketched this on the plastic surrounding a welding work area. It's way to good not to share.

·
Super Moderator
7,554 Posts
Took this one the other day of the Tbird, the XR7, and the MarkVIII all together.

And then today since it was slow in the shop due to everyone being in a panic, I brought the XR7 in for some much needed suspension work. Converted to 93+ spindles, along with GT PBR calipers and new pads and rotors, replaced the upper control arms and lower ball joints, and front sway bar links, swapped in a 3.27 rear diff, installed a set of Eibach springs, and replaced all 4 shocks with a set of Tokico Illuminas I had from the red 90 that I gave to Wile E Coyote. I'm also putting the factory 7-spoke wheels back on for now, along with a set of Sumitomo tires that were on my buddy's car for 2 weeks before he wrecked it. Eventually I'll get some better tires for it and mount them on the 92 XR7 wheels I have, but for now they are better than the 10 year old bald maypops that were on it.

·
Super Moderator
12,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,251
Wow, you got a lot of work done today!

The cars look great. Is that the same style Cougar hood that Rod has on his car?

·
Super Moderator
7,554 Posts
No. Rod made his hood, and he is without a doubt an extremely skilled fabricator. This hood was made by the previous owner of the car, who was without a doubt NOT an extremely skilled fabricator. I’ll eventually get another hood for it, but I’ve got plenty of other things ahead of that on the priority list as I try to resurrect this thing.

·
Super Moderator
7,554 Posts
I wouldn’t go so far as to say I hate it. It looks good from certain angles, but it looks pretty bad from other angles, and from the driver’s seat is definitely one of the bad angles. I do have a Mach1 style hood, but it’s for a 91-95 Cougar, so I would either have to convert to the 91-93 grille and headlights which I don’t want to do on this car, or modify the hood to mount the 90 grille to it, which I don’t know how involved that would be.

To be honest the body kit missing the door pieces bothers me a lot more than the hood, and I have a complete set of SC side skirts, so I’ll probably do that before doing anything with the hood.

Before any of that, I have to fix the sunroof and right side window, replace the door hinge pins, add some tips to run the exhaust past the bumper to hopefully cut down on some of the drone, and install some kind of stereo since there is just an empty hole in the dash right now.

·
Super Moderator
9,358 Posts
These aren't from today, more like... this past Sunday.

I went up with the wife and a friend and his son in the 210. It was my first flight without an instructor since October of 2018. We disinfected the whole interior of the plane before and after the flight, and since we didn't fill the plane had an opportunity to spread out a bit. The "shelter at home" order came through literally as we were over the Lake Erie islands, preparing to make our way back to the airport. I guess it's lucky I got the flight in when I did, it might be a while before I'm allowed to go up again. Again....

One departure video, and two different angles of the landing. I came in a little fast on the approach and instead of landing with a little power applied, came in at idle and landed a bit on the hard side.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
I know we briefly mentioned people thinking that between covid and the earthquake in Utah, people might think we are in Revelation.

Well, these aren't locusts but a bee swarm decided to go crazy in the trees just outside our living room. Thankfully, they moved on.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,751 Posts
It's the season for those guys; if that was a sign of the Aocolypse, I'd have been gone long ago, lol.

I watched a buddy drive a motorcycle thru a swarm of honeybees about 40 years ago; I still laugh when I think of that one. :)

This same guy pulled up to a few hundred pigeons in a parking lot, blowing his horn and flashing his lights; he was white with birdshit, lol.

Ahh. memories. :D

·
Super Moderator
7,554 Posts
I’ve been working on this with my son. We’re not even half way through yet, but it’s starting to take shape!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
12,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,259
That thing is soooo cool ! I saw one in a Lego store and was awestruck at the detail and complexity of it. What a great Father-son project!

·
Super Moderator
7,554 Posts
Yeah, I was in the LEGO store with him back around the end of last summer, and when my son saw that, he was like “we’ll never be able to do that!”, so when Christmas came around, I bought it for him, and we have been working on it a bit at a time every other weekend.

5241 - 5260 of 5260 Posts