TCCoA Forums banner

5261 - 5280 of 5321 Posts

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Yeah, I was in the LEGO store with him back around the end of last summer, and when my son saw that, he was like “we’ll never be able to do that!”, so when Christmas came around, I bought it for him, and we have been working on it a bit at a time every other weekend.
Im glad you are getting your money's worth then at the expense of coffee table space ;)

-g

·
Super Moderator
7,619 Posts
I actually have a spot for it in the basement where we store it when not building, so it hasn’t been on the coffee table for 3 months if that is what you were thinking. I will be honest though, I have no idea where we are going to put it when it is done. The thing is like 3ft long!

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,350 Posts
I built the Falcon from total scratch in my peak LEGO building years, I actually drew out the approximation of the cockpit, bays, gunner rooms various maintenance areas on paper from watching the movies over and over and built them in, to scale(based on the LEGO people) I think it did end up around 3 feet, but it was pretty boxy and relatively dimensionless with the pieces I had, and I had to improvise with not quite right colors. I don’t remember how long it took to finish but I was very proud of myself when I did, and ran it up the stairs to show my Dad.... and tripped and exploded it into a million pieces ?

·
Super Moderator
7,619 Posts
That is very impressive. This thing is a bear enough to put together with a kit and instructions. I can't imagine trying to make something like it from scratch!

·
Super Moderator
17,350 Posts
I used to build most LEGOs that way, I had a lot of sets but they inevitably ended up mixed together in a huge bin in the basement after I lost interest, and I’d make my own stuff in between. The Millennium Falcon, the Mad Max interceptor (huh, also Falcon ironically), and even guns (I made a PPK with a functioning slide and clip, which I oh so smartly brought to school once to show my Goldeneye playing circle of friends). I rebuilt the Falcon but it was never as good as the way I first built it.

I was always bad with LEGO instructions, I was one of those look at the picture on the box type builders, but there’d always be a part that would make no sense and I'd have to backtrack 37 steps and disassemble half of it to swap a 4 prong for a 6 prong piece ?

·
Super Moderator
10,910 Posts
Mikey, I hang Rockets from the ceiling so they don't get damaged; It might work for you. :)

·
Super Moderator
7,619 Posts
I thought about that. This thing is pretty damn heavy already though, and if I’m going to hang it, I want it to look like it’s flying (maybe angled slightly down with a light behind it to replicate when Han saves Luke from Vader at the end of A New Hope), but I would definitely have to make something to support it since I don’t think it will have enough structural integrity to support itself hanging from just wires.

·
Super Moderator
17,350 Posts
That would be my fear too, standard Lego connections are a light friction fit(brick to brick pieces, not the technic snap pieces), and after time/humidity/temperature fluctuations the pieces will slowly separate. Unless you could evenly distribute the load from the hanger wire(s) throughout somehow I’d be fearful that the bulk would eventually separate and explode on the floor.

I built a freighter once and the front fell off!

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,452 Posts
Extreme solution 1: Super glue. :)

·
Super Moderator
10,910 Posts
You really only have to glue the ones in the middle, to give a support structure.

If you use RTV, it will peel apart with effort.

Rubber cement melts the plastic, so it's as permanent as superglue, lol.

·
The Parts Guy
7,349 Posts
Whipped up a new hose reel for the shop this afternoon out of an old Keystone mag that was found out in the woods and a length of rigid conduit.
:)

Don't mind the poorly wrapped hose. It's been wrapped up tightly in the old hose reel for too long and needs to straighten out.

·
Super Moderator
10,910 Posts
We want to see the finished product; That looks awesome.

👍

On Lazarus, I did my knuckles + Lincy LCA's in blue, the uca in purple, with the polys.

Drilled the lca's to add zerks to feed the poly; otherwise squeaky. :)

No one's seen them except the guys that did my 2.5" exhaust, lol.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
On Lazarus, I did my knuckles + Lincy LCA's in blue, the uca in purple, with the polys.
No one's seen them except the guys that did my 2.5" exhaust, lol.
Like a tattoo in a "special place", eh? Have one of those as well? :)

·
Super Moderator
10,910 Posts
No tattoos. :)

Except for those three sixes, but that's a birthmark.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts

·
Registered
2,852 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,280
Lookin' good Darren. I didn't know you got another Tbird. So happy to see you've saved another one. You may have told us previously but I don't remember; what are the build details on that one? I love that hood. Best damn hood ever made for a Tbird.

5261 - 5280 of 5321 Posts