TCCoA Forums banner

5321 - 5340 of 5541 Posts

·
Registered
1997 SPORT Laser Red. Restored May of 2020.
159 Posts
Hansen in Mt. Pleasant, TX.
Spent many weeks deciding who to repaint. Had a 96 Tbird Sport for 8 years, detailed it weekly, and this paint job is as good as, if not better, than factory. No body work done, replaced front windshield, headlights, molding, and they put new seam a seal in a lot of places. The owner grew up in a body shop and his first new car was a 95 tbird with v6 that his parents bought for him as a teenager after he recovered from a serious accident that was not his fault. That was a big factor as he had repainted that tbird with gold metal flake. I kept it stock E9 laser red.

Reactions: RalphP

·
Registered
639 Posts
Changed the axle out on my truck cause it sounded like an 871 blower. But decided to be silly while I had the wheels off. Honestly, with some thinner tires, I dont think theyd look too bad. But they sure as hell woulnt fit unless I went with a widebody kit.
20200611_125626_HDR.jpg

·
Registered
639 Posts
Despite the paint issues on my 96 I still think she cleans up well. Got her good sides.

Shes going to be out from under the cover and parked on the street for a little while, re sealing the driveway.

The shiny spots are where I had to lay down a primer for oil spots or repair cracks/dents/chipping asphalt.

·
Administrator
1997 Thunderbird LX
8,325 Posts
Just a little update on my find. I've been piecemealing parts for this thing for the past few months. I finally got around to installing some of things today.

Truss rod cover, strap knobs, selector switch cover and volume and tone knobs are done. Matt, you probably know more about this that anyone here, but this is an import guitar so the pots are split shaft. From what I've been reading around, securing the proper new knobs can be a PITA because of the split. So I find out that someone makes brass sleeves that go over the shaft and solid shaft knobs can be installed. I just bought a bridge for it today, but fucked up and I realized it's nickel while I've been going with chrome parts. :mad:

I just need to pick up the Bigsby and the pick guard and bracket and find someone to set it for me.

Joe

Reactions: Boston-Bull

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Just a little update on my find. I've been piecemealing parts for this thing for the past few months. I finally got around to installing some of things today.

Truss rod cover, strap knobs, selector switch cover and volume and tone knobs are done. Matt, you probably know more about this that anyone here, but this is an import guitar so the pots are split shaft. From what I've been reading around, securing the proper new knobs can be a PITA because of the split. So I find out that someone makes brass sleeves that go over the shaft and solid shaft knobs can be installed. I just bought a bridge for it today, but fucked up and I realized it's nickel while I've been going with chrome parts. :mad:

I just need to pick up the Bigsby and the pick guard and bracket and find someone to set it for me.

Joe
Very pretty, Joe. Guitars seem pretty interesting. I wish I was more musically inclined because they seem pretty fascinating on how they all fit together AND are much less regulated that firearms or cars.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I have a guard free soloist style that I have custom paint on and don't play. I've always wondered if the heavier film or on the front of cars for rock chips would work well for a guard??

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,846 Posts
Great to see yours come together Joe, that’s a beautiful guitar! I’ve been glacially slowly sanding my homemade Explorer parts guitar getting it ready for sealer and paint. This reminds me to get moving!

Most pots in general are split shaft, spline count is the biggest difference between US and import, and it’s actually pretty rare you see solid shafts in anything other than amplifiers and pedals. With set screw knobs you can actually just line it up so the screw faces the split, not the splines(which will collapse when tightened), there are high end boutique guitars set up that way. The sleeves are a good idea too, I imagine it’ll spread the clamping load a little better, but I’d still be inclined to face the set screw towards the split with them though

Very pretty, Joe. Guitars seem pretty interesting. I wish I was more musically inclined because they seem pretty fascinating on how they all fit together AND are much less regulated that firearms or cars.
Yep

I have a guard free soloist style that I have custom paint on and don't play. I've always wondered if the heavier film or on the front of cars for rock chips would work well for a guard??
Every guitar I’ve owned besides my first strat and 67 V either doesn’t have a pickguard or I removed it, and none of them have pick scratches. A film might work but depending on the type of paint I’d be concerned that the adhesive of the film would react badly with it.

·
Administrator
1997 Thunderbird LX
8,325 Posts
This is probably more a personal preference, but what strings would anyone recommend?

Joe

·
Super Moderator
12,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,330

·
Registered
639 Posts
Lets get away from talking about G strings and nuts.

To my understanding, these Jeeps were the "SRT" of the 90s. The 1998 limited. 5.9 v8 while the others were limited to the 5.2, an all time AWD system instead of a 4wd system, a factory "performance" exhaust, and a body kit with a the most notable change, the hood. I had heard of these things, had never actually seen one until today. Wanted to buy it, and sat in the parking lot for like an hour waiting for the owner, but guy never showed. And Im not walking into stores and asking workers about their cars.

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,846 Posts
I found one of those at a junkyard once, in the Ford section weirdly, I didn’t think much of it until I read an article about them some time later, I noted the hood heat extractors thinking “huh, I never noticed GCs had those”

Those Dodge powered or AMC powered? Both companies had 5.9s prior to merging

·
Super Moderator
12,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,336
Cool find. It reminds me of the Dodge Ram SRT 10's with the Viper engines in them. Dodge has certainly done some amazing things with their vehicles over the years. Including stealing the police car sector from Ford with the Dodge Charger Pursuit.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Cool find. It reminds me of the Dodge Ram SRT 10's with the Viper engines in them. Dodge has certainly done some amazing things with their vehicles over the years. Including stealing the police car sector from Ford with the Dodge Charger Pursuit.
You mean the truck powered by a car engine based on a truck engine?

It's like the Doritos locos taco flavored Doritos... of SUVs.

·
Super Moderator
7,738 Posts
There’s no question that Chrysler has always made the craziest ****, but the problem implicit in that statement is Chrysler has always made ****!

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
There’s no question that Chrysler has always made the craziest *, but the problem implicit in that statement is Chrysler has always made *!
This is why you need to wear a mask to shut your mouth Mike j/k

1) the Doritos loco taco is perhaps the purest example of peak fast food - I would argue one that even exceeds the KFC two chicken breasts as buns sandwich.

2) I'm still salty about losing a cooking contest 4 years ago among friends when we had to make sushi. My submission was a deconstructed Doritos locos taco as a sushi roll. More specifically a deconstructed Doritos locos taco which used actual crumbled Doritos locos taco flavored Doritos as the outside coating. I ******* lost to a tuna and mango abomination. Any idiot can take a piece of tuna sashimi, roll it, and impregnate the mess with mango.

·
Super Moderator
7,738 Posts
1) the Doritos loco taco is perhaps the purest example of peak fast food - I would argue one that even exceeds the KFC two chicken breasts as buns sandwich.
Yeah, I am totally out of the loop when it comes to fast food. I didn’t even know that was a thing. But then again, it’s probably been close to 20 years since I stepped foot inside a KFC.

My son loves the Doritos locos tacos though. I tried bringing him to a real Mexican restaurant for authentic tacos, and he was not having any of it!

5321 - 5340 of 5541 Posts