1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,569 Posts

·
Registered
2,783 Posts

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Wow! Be safe! Fire is nothing to play with.
Wow, missed this!

Yeah, I'm safe here. The fire started about a 3 miles north west of me and traveled east. There was one point where the fire was directly north of me by about a mile, but due to wind and terrain conditions, it never came to me. That was when I took those night pictures.

The fire is 15,000 acres and 0% containment as of the last update at 1am.

Reactions: Lenise

·
Registered
276 Posts
This is getting scarier every year. My Brother lives in Corona and nothing ever put him in jeopardy, but he sends pics of how close it is. I guess you get used to it like earthquakes.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Yeah, you get used to it.

As long as you don't live in / near mountains and foothills, you're not affected other than smoke if you're downwind from the smoke.

Earthquakes aren't a big deal either. As a California native, an earthquake that isn't a 5-pointer isn't even worth talking about.

·
Registered
1994 Thunderbird LX 3.8
76 Posts
It sounds (and looks) terrifying to me! We just worry about hurricanes, flash floods, and tornados here. Glad you're safe!

·
Super Moderator
9,569 Posts
And here in boring NE Ohio, all we have are thunderstorms with the infrequent, solitary and barely occasional EF0 or EF1 tornado, and snow. :unsure:

·
Super Moderator
12,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,390
Yeah, you get used to it.

As long as you don't live in / near mountains and foothills, you're not affected other than smoke if you're downwind from the smoke.

Earthquakes aren't a big deal either. As a California native, an earthquake that isn't a 5-pointer isn't even worth talking about.

LOL, Yeah, having ridden out a 7.3 in Mexico City I have a point of reference. Anyway, glad you're keeing safe from the wildfire. Crazy stuff. The fire out there made the national news last night. I was telling my family that you beat them to the story with your pictures here. LOL

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Wooooooo!!!!! National news! I wonder if you were able to see my neighborhood or even my house in any of the shots that you saw?

Keeping up with my friends in the area, there is one that had to be evacuated out of precaution. Last update with her, her neighborhood was saved due to the great work fire crews put out in controlling the direction of the fire. It was definitely a scare for her and her family, but they're safe.

And a 7.3 is nothing to scoff at! The biggest one I've been in was the Northridge quake back in.......94. That was a 6.4, but it definitely caused a great deal of damage here in the greater Los Angeles area. I lived in a city named La Puente at the time and I remember being woken up by it and freaking out. I was a kid of course. The next largest quake I guess would be the Ridgecrest earthquake, 7.1, last year, but I live so far from there that it was more of a "hey, is that an earthquake?" moment. A few days later, my cousin from NC was out here visiting and while he was visiting there was an aftershock. Like I said, if it's less than a 5 pointer, it's not worth mentioning. We were talking and then he's like, "is that an earthquake?" whilst mildly freaking out. I'm like, "earthquake?" and I look at my wife's cuckoo clock just to see the chains swaying back and forth. I then say, "oh yeah, that's an earthquake" I later found out it was a 5.5 aftershock of the Ridgecrest quake.

·
Super Moderator
9,569 Posts
Couple quick cell phone shots from the drive to my first client today.

20200804_082809.jpg
20200804_083039.jpg

·
Super Moderator
7,689 Posts
We had some pretty nasty winds around here yesterday. My house has been without power since yesterday morning. On my way home from the shop today, I found out why!
8FED262D-25E4-4135-85AE-1C4A294C7775.png

·
Administrator
8,248 Posts
Finally got my power back yesterday afternoon, wind took a lot of trees down. :mad:

Joe

·
Super Moderator
12,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,396
Wow! Hang in there guys!

Reminds me ... I need to take my generator out of the garage and service it. I haven't started the thing in years!

5381 - 5397 of 5397 Posts