TCCoA Forums banner

5481 - 5500 of 5541 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,481
Wow! Yeah, we had an orange morning like that here once. It was surreal! I've never seen it like that before or since. But, yeah, I'm with you. It's particulate matter in the atmosphere from the wild fires diffusing the light.

·
Super Moderator
12,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,483
Reactions: dDUBb

·
Registered
4,443 Posts
My mother in law. I got a quote for a GOODMAN 80/80/4Ton up flow furnace with matching Coil and 4Ton GOODMAN 13 SEER Condenser with Pad and Furnace Filter box for $8500 installed.
I also have to think about service so much as though I'd like to fly out my local HVAC friend, it's not likely to be cost effective.

How you earn your money is none of my business. What goes on between two consenting adults with webcams is none of my concern.
Heat one day .. snow advisory the next. Strange weather in Denver.

13 SEER is the federal minimum .. not very energy efficient at all, 14.5 is the minimum for an Energy Star rating. $8500 huh ? So that includes a new Furnace also, I would need to make a few phone calls to find out how much those are at my cost. Adding the coil during the furnace install is pretty easy - otherwise they charge a lot more to add it later. 4 tons is quite a bit .. that would be good for about a 4000 sq ft. house but if the house is half the size that would be even better.

·
Registered
4,443 Posts

Taken around noon about 10 miles away from Gunn's house with my crappy LG phone .. It's darker in SF than near my house due to the fog but not much difference except that my cars are covered in ash at home.

Sun ?? I haven't seen that all day.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
I heard this was in Oregon a few days ago.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
The top picture is the Apple Fire that started at the end of July. The bottom picture is the El Dorado fire that is currently ongoing. You know, the one that got started by the gender reveal party...

Both these pictures I took standing in front of my house.

Reactions: dDUBb

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Impossible. There is plenty of parking and no turds on the sidewalk. 😂
I can't argue with this one although the last time I was in downtown (my dentist is actually off union square), I think parking availability was up... but turd availability was up as well.

View attachment 39294

At least its not orange today.
1) This air is as bad as I remember it being when I visited Delhi for a friend's wedding a few years ago. The extreme particulate matter (in delhi its from wood fired kilns that surround the city making bricks) coupled with cooler wetter air makes this dusty, oppressive fog which is pretty disgusting (not cool and refreshing like normally).
2) Air quality is purple around my house. It's actually worse than a few days ago when it looked like the apocalypse.

·
Super Moderator
12,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,493
It makes a great back drop for the new DUNE poster thought!

·
Registered
1994 Thunderbird LX 3.8
103 Posts
Out of left field here, but you all are handy, so I'm asking lol... We have a tankless water heater (Rinnai, about 12 years old) that has been shutting itself down the last few days. The control panel goes dead, my son takes it apart, reconnects the wiring, and everything's fine... for a while. We thought the connections were just not secure, but he twisted everything together to the point I can't even get the caps off (think I'll try resetting it at the breaker), and my guys are at their dad's for the weekend. The problem couldn't be the wire escaping from the insulation, could it? Any guesses? A new control panel is about $120 at Home Depot, so if that's what it needs, it won't break me (though the head gasket last month and now a motor and transmission mount on the Edge this month are not helping my bottom line 🤣😭😂), but I hate to buy it if that's not the problem!

NC is looking like a pretty great place to live right now (though the next hurricane is coming any day, I'm sure!) You westerners stay safe!!

·
Registered
1994 Thunderbird LX 3.8
103 Posts
Took off the wiring cap. Also just noticed a tiny creepy crawly walking across the foam rubber. We had ants in the control panel and junction box last time the hot water went out, but this looks like a tiny silver fish 🤦 Critters like living in NC, too.

·
Registered
4,443 Posts
If that exposed wire touches anything it would more than likely trip the circuit breaker. I would not touch these wires if your power is live. You may want to wait for your boys to come back to turn off the power, and cut the exposed area back, and re-make a proper connection unless this is something you think you are capable of doing yourself.

Try the breaker .. If the controller turns back on, the wiring connections inside the wire nuts is not the issue.

If you are getting insects inside the control panel (some are attracted to heat .. Ants want water or food ) .. And the insulation is compromised, you could be getting moisture inside the panel. This may cause some intermittent issues like you are describing.

·
Registered
1994 Thunderbird LX 3.8
103 Posts
I turned it off at the breaker and took the control panel apart. I think the critter is only on the outside. The circuit board looks pretty good, though the sealant obviously already failed, so as you pointed out, moisture is a potential issue. I'm trying to strip off the black insulation now. The red wire was super easy 👍 I guess next time we try resealing.

Thanks!!

This is the kind of thing I'm only too happy to let my son, dad, or brother do .. lol... But no hot water until tomorrow isn't something I'm going to take lying down, and since Dad and brother are hundreds of miles away, I guess it's up to me!

·
Registered
1994 Thunderbird LX 3.8
103 Posts
On again, at least for the moment, with no loss of life 😂 ... And it already flickered off and reset to 104. There's something weird going on for sure. Probably won't get a plumber out here for less than $120. Maybe I need to just try replacing the control panel.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
I don't know if the controller is smart enough to have any nonvolatile memory (aka save error codes after a power failure but I found this diagnostic)

There should be a contact you can touch with a voltmeter for the power after the two wire splices. If you connect the wire splicesn after the panel is shut down, you can see if the board is getting power or not I would suspect something in the power circuit is flaky (like the ac-dc converter). You aren't fixing that yourself so the most Iogical choice is to swap control panels.

Note: if you buy it from home depot, and it doesn't fix your problem, you could just return it. How would they know you installed it?

Dan's suggestion below is easier

·
Registered
4,443 Posts
I do plumbing professionally. This seems more like an electrical issue but like you said .. Restoring power seems to make it work temporarily. I would not be surprised if the controller itself is the problem. Simply turning the breaker on and off should verify if this is a wiring or controller issue. The next time it shuts down, try turning off the breaker and do not touch the wiring - just leave the power off the the same amount of time it would take to re-wire and this will help determine if it is a bad solder joint on the controller itself that may be losing continuity when it gets hot the solder joint fails and reconnects itself when it cools off.

5481 - 5500 of 5541 Posts