The "X" looks to be a resemblance for the middle of the can?Useless fact, they’re supposed to look like jerry cans. Some Jeep dork pointed that out to me when I made fun of them on Jalopnik or something when it came out. I have a Jerry can and I still don’t see the resemblance lol
Hood clearance is not a problem, but that was an issue in a few other areas. This body style truck never came with a 302 or 351, and all my internet research couldn't find anyone who actually completed the swap, so I am venturing into uncharted territory with this swap. I was concerned about firewall clearance because there is an indented area in the firewall for the intake, but it turns out this manifold tucks right in there perfectly. I got a donor 5.0 explorer for most of the swap stuff. I was able to use the explorer motor mounts, I just had to modify the holes in crossmember to line it up in the right spot. Only problem was the oil pan actually hit the steering linkage, so I used longer bolts and some nuts as spacers to lift the engine up about an inch, and now everything clears, and it fits in there pretty nice. The clearance for a header on the driver's side is a little tight to the steering shaft on the front 2 cylinders, so hopefully I can find some headers that will fit, but worst case I may have to run regular manifolds. Next up is the wiring, and that is going to take some time. I kept the explorer ECM and harness, and my original plan was to modify the explorer harness to make it plug and play before pulling the engine, but looking at the connector pinouts and the diagrams, the way both vehicles are wired is completely different, so I have to frankenstein together the original F150 harness and the explorer harness, as well moving a few pins around in the ECM connector and the engine harness connector, and then there is the issue of most of the connectors being different, so I have to splice, solder, and heat shrink the wires for the crank sensor, ignition coils, and all 8 injectors. The ECT connector was different, but the pins were the same, so I was able to just swap the F150 wires into the explorer connector housing without having to splice anything. The cam sensor, TPS, IAC, EGR, DPFE, and O2 sensor connectors are all the same, so I should be able to avoid splicing those, but I have to make sure they are all routed properly and the right lengths, so it is definitely a challenge, but it should be fun when it is done.
Here is where I am at with the wiring right now.
View attachment 39371 View attachment 39372 View attachment 39373