TCCoA Forums banner

5521 - 5540 of 5541 Posts

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Useless fact, they’re supposed to look like jerry cans. Some Jeep dork pointed that out to me when I made fun of them on Jalopnik or something when it came out. I have a Jerry can and I still don’t see the resemblance lol
The "X" looks to be a resemblance for the middle of the can?

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
My Honda has "gas light" issues 😛

·
Registered
4,443 Posts

At the job site today .. Somebody took out the overhead power line to the portable classrooms with the all terrain lift. I did not get a picture before while it was actually burning on fire.

·
Super Moderator
12,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,526
Idiots. You can't fix stupid. He's lucky he wasn't killed. I see the line behind that one is flagged and it looks like the one on the ground was flagged too. It never ceases to amaze me how little training some of these heavy equip. operators get before they're turned loose. Or the amount of braggadocio some careless operators have.

Babs has a song just for him.

Don't you love farce?
My fault, I fear
I thought that you'd want what I want-
Sorry my dear

But where are the clowns?
Quick, send in the clowns
Don't bother they're here

Reactions: dDUBb

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,652 Posts
Definitely NOT today, lol! I decided I'd check historical aerials and zoomed in on the Lorain plant. This was sometime in 1995. Lots of MN12s waiting to go to new homes!

·
Super Moderator
7,739 Posts
The 4.2 in my truck has been good to me, but after 285k miles, multiple oil and coolant leaks, and failed IMRCs, it was time for it to come out.
383D7C63-4B24-4267-B1DC-B8A4130F4C75.jpeg
21B0FFF1-54A7-416B-97F4-49B555C58746.jpeg
0290F1F1-BD2B-4C32-8889-111BE6F7FF15.jpeg
89775205-D289-4B37-8A63-9B6332F7CF64.jpeg
6FB93E83-E14A-4B6B-A664-2B3F2D01FBAC.jpeg

And since stock is boring...
4F4564BB-365E-47CC-A99B-BF221B1CE62B.jpeg
53FDB2A5-9165-472F-9C4F-D6870158D8D9.jpeg
125C24CD-55E6-4239-A6B0-ACDBD2B38ACD.jpeg

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Nice Mike.
I guess with the truck, hood clearance is NOT a concern :)

You have the ECU/harness and all that from a donor vehicle?

·
Super Moderator
7,739 Posts
Hood clearance is not a problem, but that was an issue in a few other areas. This body style truck never came with a 302 or 351, and all my internet research couldn't find anyone who actually completed the swap, so I am venturing into uncharted territory with this swap. I was concerned about firewall clearance because there is an indented area in the firewall for the intake, but it turns out this manifold tucks right in there perfectly. I got a donor 5.0 explorer for most of the swap stuff. I was able to use the explorer motor mounts, I just had to modify the holes in crossmember to line it up in the right spot. Only problem was the oil pan actually hit the steering linkage, so I used longer bolts and some nuts as spacers to lift the engine up about an inch, and now everything clears, and it fits in there pretty nice. The clearance for a header on the driver's side is a little tight to the steering shaft on the front 2 cylinders, so hopefully I can find some headers that will fit, but worst case I may have to run regular manifolds. Next up is the wiring, and that is going to take some time. I kept the explorer ECM and harness, and my original plan was to modify the explorer harness to make it plug and play before pulling the engine, but looking at the connector pinouts and the diagrams, the way both vehicles are wired is completely different, so I have to frankenstein together the original F150 harness and the explorer harness, as well moving a few pins around in the ECM connector and the engine harness connector, and then there is the issue of most of the connectors being different, so I have to splice, solder, and heat shrink the wires for the crank sensor, ignition coils, and all 8 injectors. The ECT connector was different, but the pins were the same, so I was able to just swap the F150 wires into the explorer connector housing without having to splice anything. The cam sensor, TPS, IAC, EGR, DPFE, and O2 sensor connectors are all the same, so I should be able to avoid splicing those, but I have to make sure they are all routed properly and the right lengths, so it is definitely a challenge, but it should be fun when it is done.
Here is where I am at with the wiring right now.
99462076-4167-4EC8-BE93-659EBA2D75E6.jpeg
070A521F-3650-4D9F-BAAB-644D01CDFBEA.jpeg
53995ECC-4962-4EC9-AE30-5D3E7A702999.jpeg

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,850 Posts
Nice Mike, I love wiring projects 😊

I never got why Ford dumped the 5.0/5.8 from the F-series in 97 but continued with the old Windsor’s in the Explorers until 01. I liked the styling of this generation, especially with the flareside bed but are completely out of my radar from their engine choices. What trans does yours have?

Hood clearance is not a problem, but that was an issue in a few other areas. This body style truck never came with a 302 or 351, and all my internet research couldn't find anyone who actually completed the swap, so I am venturing into uncharted territory with this swap. I was concerned about firewall clearance because there is an indented area in the firewall for the intake, but it turns out this manifold tucks right in there perfectly. I got a donor 5.0 explorer for most of the swap stuff. I was able to use the explorer motor mounts, I just had to modify the holes in crossmember to line it up in the right spot. Only problem was the oil pan actually hit the steering linkage, so I used longer bolts and some nuts as spacers to lift the engine up about an inch, and now everything clears, and it fits in there pretty nice. The clearance for a header on the driver's side is a little tight to the steering shaft on the front 2 cylinders, so hopefully I can find some headers that will fit, but worst case I may have to run regular manifolds. Next up is the wiring, and that is going to take some time. I kept the explorer ECM and harness, and my original plan was to modify the explorer harness to make it plug and play before pulling the engine, but looking at the connector pinouts and the diagrams, the way both vehicles are wired is completely different, so I have to frankenstein together the original F150 harness and the explorer harness, as well moving a few pins around in the ECM connector and the engine harness connector, and then there is the issue of most of the connectors being different, so I have to splice, solder, and heat shrink the wires for the crank sensor, ignition coils, and all 8 injectors. The ECT connector was different, but the pins were the same, so I was able to just swap the F150 wires into the explorer connector housing without having to splice anything. The cam sensor, TPS, IAC, EGR, DPFE, and O2 sensor connectors are all the same, so I should be able to avoid splicing those, but I have to make sure they are all routed properly and the right lengths, so it is definitely a challenge, but it should be fun when it is done.
Here is where I am at with the wiring right now.
View attachment 39371 View attachment 39372 View attachment 39373

·
Super Moderator
7,739 Posts
It has the M5R2 trans. When I got this truck, I was literally looking for it for a year cause I wanted a 97-03, regular cab, short bed, 2wd, manual trans, power windows, and it was like looking for a unicorn! I made a little bit of progress on the wiring between customer work today. The crank and cam sensors, IAC, IAT, TPS, EVR, DPFE, ECT, and O2 wiring is all connected. The harness for the coils and the injectors are laid out, but I still have to splice, solder, and heat shrink all those connections. Maybe I’ll get in early tomorrow morning and try to get that done.

·
Super Moderator
5,235 Posts
Had to do a different motor for my speedo for the 1988 Dakota; the original teensy one burned out after about 450 miles.

Here's my new motor and the speedo, showing I need to reset the needle (it's reading 4MPH high I think.)

And here's how I drive it:

RwP

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
I came across some stuff yesterday for super cheap. I have no need for it, so it's going up on eBay.

·
Super Moderator
7,739 Posts
So I guess you got the brake lines fixed?

5521 - 5540 of 5541 Posts