TCCoA Forums banner

5621 - 5640 of 5669 Posts

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
I'll have to say that Hondas aren't always the best looking cars, but they're definitely good for being DDs. Mine however, is starting to tell me that it needs to be put out to pasture 🤣 .

Reactions: Zep5.0

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
I'll have to say that Hondas aren't always the best looking cars, but they're definitely good for being DDs. Mine however, is starting to tell me that it needs to be put out to pasture 🤣 .
Its had a good life. On the plus side, demand for used cars are so high that I would be you could demand a couple grand for what is a well maintained car (as long as you don't have any issues before sale).

Depending on the incentives, it might be good time to buy new and unload this one while it has value vs being a mechanics special.

Back in 2014, I sold my 97 accord se with 200k mi for $2900. I had some lowballers but the guy that bought it clearly understood it was maintained since I bought it with 14k mi.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
If I were to unload my 360k Accord, I'd want to get the timing belt done first and have that be a selling point. I'd need to adjust the valves, change the spark plugs, and (likely) recharge the AC system (or at least figure out why it doesn't blow ice cold on 100F+ days but does blow ice cold on 95F and below days). It has a CEL right now that popped up a day before I did my PS pump for the primary o2 sensor. That's an easy fix, but an extra ~$50 I don't want to spend right now. I'm also leaning on the side of it needing new shocks here sometime in the near future as my current set of KYBs have ~200k miles. I say as long as they're not leaking or the tires not bouncing whilst driving, they're still good. I'm just waiting for them to go at this point. I will replace all 4 if any one of them fails in the manner I've described though.

I checked my Excel file on maintenance for my Accord, and YTD, I'm at.....well......

This $2,500 is still cheaper than the $400 car payment I'd be making on the vehicle I actually want if I were to break down what I've spent so far YTD.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
My likely audience would be a teenager wanting their first car, a twenty-something year old wanting a cheap car to get around, or a thirty-something year old wanting a cheap car as a DD.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,957 Posts
I wouldn't expect on getting prime cash for my Honda.
Right, that’s what I was clarifying with Gunn‘s point about used car values, it’s a sellers market for the right cars, coupes don’t even register in the statistics now a days

I’d keep it, personally. It’s paid for it has character and you’ll run out of things to replace for awhile eventually

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Because we've been talking Honda so much lately here....

Original engine, 4th transmission, 3 PS pumps, 3 radiators, and a bunch of other things.

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,694 Posts
The wife's Fusion turned "only" 190k a couple weeks ago. I had the transmission replaced 2 years/20k ago because 3rd gear was slamming when engaging, and that's the gear most often "picked" by the PCM when you needed to get on it while out and about. The only thing I've had to do to it since then is replace the starter - otherwise it's all original (save the standard consumables - brakes, suspension etc). Our plan is to replace it with a '17 or newer sometime early next year then give it to my parents.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
If you WERE to sell the car, here's what I'd do
1) Do NOT put any more money into the car EXCEPT get it cleaned up. Make it decent looking, esp under the hood. I think you had a blown off hose or leak or something. Make sure there's no residue on the block.
2) It seems like its 90+ in Banning right now. When will it cool down so A/C is not an issue? If you want to get rid of it sooner, spend $40 on a recharge kit and charge it.
3) Forget any other maint esp the timing belt. Anyone buying a 360K mi car either a) won't care or b) will do it themselves.
4) At most, do a compression test on the engine (document with pics if you want). This will be good enough to convince people that it "runs strong" and pay for a smog test so it has fresh papers.

There seem to be folks asking what i would say is pretty crazy money for a car with this many miles. Yours looks cleaner (well, not as clean as the carbon fiber hooded one but whatever, it's a bit gauche for my taste)

Best guess: list for $2500 and sell for anyone offering cash over $1500.

Now, I strongly suspect you won't do anything until something real expensive breaks. You do what you want.
My personal "breaking point" was when the vehicle repair costs started climbing over $100/mo on average AND I had to start using a club so I wouldn't have to deal with the honda being stolen again. That got tiring.

PS. I'm REAL curious to see what kind of compression numbers you are seeing with that engine at this age. Or what kind of HP it makes on a dyno (not that i would paid for a dyno run). I would personally see how well that engine runs before committing to spend one more penny on suspension work or a new transmission.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Yesterday, my wife and I took the afternoon off to take our son to a pumpkin patch and tide pools close to SF. It was nice b/c there wasn't anyone around on a Wed afternoon (his school is on fall break).

The tide pools in Marin weren't the most fantastic we've ever seen (that title probably goes to Point Lobos State Reserve -- The density of sea stars, urchins, and others was like visiting the touching pool at Monterey Bay Aquarium -- only outside) but we saw some interesting crabs, clams, fish, and other sea animals going about their daily lives. If any of you folks are considering a trip out to CA post-pandemic, LMK and ill be happy to shoot you some recommendations of cool things to check out. Its nice having this stuff so close that you can take an afternoon off and check them out.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
I took my kids to a local classic car show & market night. The kids had fun getting out of the house and doing something different.

There were several signs out saying that face coverings were required but most people didn't have one. Said signs also said if you contract COVID that the event / event organizers are not to be held liable. That said, here are the pictures I took:

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Some more cars. There were several OG style Broncos too (Bronco II?), but I wasn't able to snag pictures of them because my son wanted me to carry him so he could see inside their engine bays.

Reactions: Rodeo Joe

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
1) I'm glad you guys still wore masks even if others didn't and it was outside.
2) I've always liked the detomaso pantera look for 70s supercars. They are still relatively affordable vs similar vintage lamborghinis (countache or muira). Maybe that's a car to consider for CA since you can predate emissions.

I do like the more over the top 80s styled ones though.

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,957 Posts
Nerd alert That 70 Cougar is an XR-7, with XR-7 emblems and grille, and never has there been an XR-7 Eliminator. Nor were any made with shakers. I'm ok with clones, but do better! lol

The 73 Gran Torino Sportsroof is money, always wanted one or its 72-73 Mercury Montego equivalent, I want to find a clean body and plop it onto a late model Crown Vic frame, it's an almost drop-on other than the frame ends for the bumpers.

Panteras are super cool, I've heard their biggest fault is their wiring, so they're perfect for me :D

·
Super Moderator
13,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,638
Wow! Beautiful cars and fantastic pictures! Thanks for sharing! Did you take those pictures with a DSLR, mirrorless or just your phone camera?

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Wow! Beautiful cars and fantastic pictures! Thanks for sharing! Did you take those pictures with a DSLR, mirrorless or just your phone camera?
For sure!

These pictures I took with my Pixel 3XL using night mode.

·
Registered
659 Posts

So I decided I wanted to try my hand at paint corrections again after a semi failed attempt on my old truck. Polished with Meguiars 205 then ceramic hybrid waxed with Meguiars liquid stuff. Then restored the headlights. I think it turned out well.

Next will be the gold Tbird.

5621 - 5640 of 5669 Posts