TCCoA Forums banner

5641 - 5660 of 5669 Posts

·
Administrator
1997 Thunderbird LX
8,353 Posts
So what happened to it Matt that it ended up in the shape it's in?

Joe

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,957 Posts
So what happened to it Matt that it ended up in the shape it's in?

Joe
If I were to guess someone had it strapped on and walked a bit too briskly through a doorway lol. The seller I bought it from seems to buy them to sell as projects and partially part them out.

Here’s a closeup of the ugly

NGD=New Guitar Day? FFS can't you kids use words 🤣.

That thing is really nice. Is like to have one for my collection but since I can't play, I don't think I should... We'll see. Heck of a buy too
Acronyms FTW! 😁✊

The Epiphone Les Paul special models are really good players and dirt cheap. I was thinking about getting a P90 TV yellow model first before I found this

·
Administrator
1997 Thunderbird LX
8,353 Posts
Any differences with the Epiphone compared to Gibson?

Joe

·
Super Moderator
17,957 Posts
Any differences with the Epiphone compared to Gibson?

Joe
-Headstock shape is different (though closer than it used to be starting this year) and at a 14° angle instead of Gibson’s 17°
-Fingerboard is Indian Laurel instead of rosewood
-Body is two pieces of mohagany, with a back veneer, instead of one
-Finish is polyurethane rather than Gibson’s Nitro lacquer
-Bridge hardware is metric, and a little different in design
-Electronics are USUALLY alpha, but oddly this model has American CTS potentiometer, or at least the one that isn’t a push/pull
-Oh and about a $4,000 difference lol

IMO Gibson’s are being made for well off collector/investors nowadays, not players. Epiphones are excellent quality (some say better) and whatever faults they have are upgradable.

Planning on cutting it the cracks and filling it out looking for a new neck/head?
There aren’t any cracks in the wood itself, most of what you see is urethane, the repair looks to be done properly using titebond and clamping, it’s actually stronger than the wood itself. But I do have a few ideas. I’m thinking about stripping the neck to bare wood up to the heel, staining to a close color match/oil finishing it to give it a better feel and entirely refinishing the headstock with a new black veneer on the face to replace the chipped one, and if I’m going to the trouble anyway I might plug the tuner holes and reshape it to the true Gibson open book shape. Not going to happen right away though, for now I’m just putting it together to play as is. Has character!

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
The Banning Street Drags are happening right now. They got postponed until this weekend from September because of the fires.

Here are some pictures I've taken so far. I've got the worst seat in the house for this, lol. One car, a Nova I think, went sideways warming up the tires. And a hella decked out S550 Mustang nearly lost it and went over the line halfway down the strip. Fire and ambulance were deployed to that one for precautionary measures.

Lots of co cars here for sure.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
This one is for Gunn .. Dead body in the freezer is like money in the bank. 😂
😂😂😂🤣🤣🤣🤣

·
Registered
659 Posts

So I buffed and ceramic waxed the 96. And it has never shined like this or been this deep a color before. I didnt do the rear bumper to kinda show a comparison.

Only problem is that it seems to have highlighted the damaged clear coat that has yet to peel. So after work tomorrow Its getting put back under the cover until spring. Hopefully I can get it painted then.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Went out with the family today to our local pumpkin patch. The kids had a great time and they picked out their pumpkins at the end of it all.

Reactions: XR7-4.6

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
This one is for Gunn .. Dead body in the freezer is like money in the bank. 😂
Haha. I'm glad you know me well enough to have a reasonable suspicion of my line of thought.
1) It makes sense that funeral homes are hurting; from my experience with my wife's grandfather passing, it seemed like quite a "event" oriented business. The show is a much larger fraction of the cost than just prepping the body for burial.
2) I think for most people, a dead body in the freezer is more of a liability than an investment. If you could make money off the bodies, there wouldn't be as many free range humans milling around SF ripe for the harvesting.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
If you could make money off the bodies, there wouldn't be as many free range humans milling around SF ripe for the harvesting
Or Los Angeles, or San Bernardino.

😛

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Instead of teaching our son how to catch covid from randos at a protest AND/OR how to yell/scream/attack people who you disagree with politically, we decided to take our son. SF was "hot" on Saturday (which means low 80s) so we took him to the beach @ Fort Funston for a few hours of digging in the sand.
Our only altercation was from a poorly managed puppy that ran up and snarfed some of our potato chips.

Here are pics of the sunset. The lumps are a family of Rolly Polys we made with our son.

·
Super Moderator
17,957 Posts
Got a few key pieces to the Les Paul puzzle. Found a take-off bridge complete with bushings on eBay - probably the one it came with lol and found the grovers I was originally going to use on my Flying V before I decided to keep the black hardware. Weirdly the paint indentations from the OEM ones are a little different, but they’re supposed to be the same tuners? Maybe Grover casts them differently for overseas

All that’s left to make it playable are the pickup rings, which the seller only just now finally shipped 🙄 Gives me more time to ponder upgrades I hadn’t lol

Oh fun trivia. Epiphone’s website touts “CTS electronics“ for this model, just like what’s in a Gibson!

The Les Paul Classic from the new Epiphone Modern Collection presents the world’s most popular electric guitar at a price anyone can afford. Featuring the classic look of a late 50s Les Paul Standard with open-coil “zebra” Alnico Classic PRO™ humbuckers
with CTS electronics
, coil-splitting and phase switching, and Grover® Rotomatic machine heads. Available in Ebony, Honeyburst, and Heritage Cherry Sunburst.

Well ONE of the four potentiometers are USA CTS, albeit with the metric 18 spline thread(which means I can’t use the speed knobs I had that I intended to swap. The other three are typical import dime sized alphas, albiet push/pull type and the holes through the body are correspondingly different sizes so I still need to ream them out when I upgrade. Clever marketing, Epiphone 🤣

5641 - 5660 of 5669 Posts