TCCoA Forums banner

5941 - 5958 of 5958 Posts

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Ok, looking up what "san tees" are, I call those "j-pipes", lol. Now I know proper terminology!!

Sewer lines are indeed galvanized pipe at 1-1/2" for drains. I'm on slab foundation.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Normally you would have a 2 inch main drain / vent, your sink draIns are 1-1/2" and then it reduces to 1-1/4" or 1" to the sink tailpiece. Kitchen drain lines usually clog up with a combination of grease and whatever else goes down the disposal. If your washing machine dumps into the same line it can build up lint also. Sorry not much you can do on a slab foundation except use a powered snake.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
So I went to put this all together and just to test one more time, we ran the water (as I expected, but wife wanted to try), the water backed up. This time though, I had one more leak at the bottom of the left side sink 😓. As I began to take apart the pipe, the sink drain part starts to spin as well rotating out the pipe putty seal that was placed there once upon a time. So now, I need to replace the pipe that was leaking (we saw it had broken and the gasket is just done), and I need to buy a tool to remove the drain part to reseal it with silicone. My channel locks are too small by about 1/2" or so to grab the ring that secures the drain to the sink.

·
Super Moderator
13,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,944
CLT This morning. On my way to SLC then to PHX.

Reactions: dDUBb

·
Administrator
1997 Thunderbird LX
8,491 Posts
Have a good flight Ron, how's the crowd at the airport?

Joe

·
Super Moderator
13,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,946
Thanks. The crowd was not as bad today as it was on December 27 and 30th.

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,904 Posts
Speaking of flying, I went up with the wife in a little 2-seater to "economically" enjoy the beautiful weather we had for the first time in a while. We flew over some local communities and I did a "touch and go" landing at a field over 50 nmi away so I could log the time as cross country flight.

Usually on bright, sunny days, columns of rising warm(er) air get created as the sun unevenly heats the earth's surface, causing thermals which, when flown into, cause turbulence. The smaller and lighter the plane, the more the effect of these thermals are on the plane. Yesterday was a rare day of stable air where the rising of thermals was largely kept close to the ground and at a slow enough rate that - even in the lightly loaded 1600 lb. Cessna 152 we were flying - the air was as smooth as glass. :)

This was my approach and landing back at the home base airport. There was a moderate 10-12 MPH wind coming from the right, so I had an opportunity to practice my crosswind landing skills. You'll probably notice the "crab" angle during descent; you can't land while crabbing (flying into the wind to compensate for wind - the ground track is not parallel to the direction the nose points) because there would be a sudden shock to the landing gear/tires due to the plane's ground track not being parallel to the wheels. One of the more challenging parts of a crosswind landing is a coordinated transition between that "crab" to a "slip" where you use a slight bank angle and the rudder to point the plane parallel to its ground track while compensating for the effect of the crosswind angle. You can see me do that from about 3:42-3:45.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
You might be able to get the ring off with a chisel and hammer .. Once you knock it loose it will spin right off. Use plumbers putty when you re-install the sink drain strainer and the new drain tailpiece. The silicone goes around the sink basin to countertop .. Not the drain.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Got that MFer done!

Just returning the rental snake and going to put everything back together when I get back home.

·
Super Moderator
5,358 Posts
Our first snow fall for 2021 in Louisiana ...

Snow on Cougar.jpg

·
Administrator
1997 Thunderbird LX
8,491 Posts
Hope you stocked up Ralph! :)

Joe

Reactions: RalphP

·
Super Moderator
5,358 Posts
Hope you stocked up Ralph! :)

Joe
Got plenty of toilet paper and all the booze I'd drink.

What, I'm supposed to have something else? :ROFLMAO:

That's not normal, right? My parents says there are a few inches in Austin. That happens maybe once every 10 years.
No, it's not. Not anymore.

I do remember snow 6" deep on my birthday in February or shortly afterwards when I was a young'un.

RwP

Reactions: Zep5.0

·
Registered
1991 Mercury Cougar LS 5.0 in restoration
548 Posts
Thanks. The crowd was not as bad today as it was on December 27 and 30th.
Based on crowd size and plane fill, are you feeling relatively safe from Covid-19? I will likely fly first part of March and wondering how it's looking at the moment.

·
The Parts Guy
7,497 Posts
I had the opportunity to do a little metal work for the first time in a long time this morning while working on the '65 C10. Just like riding a bicycle. :)

The Vintage Air kit places the condenser lines and filter/dryer in the space previously occupied by the trans cooler lines, meaning the trans cooler has to shift over 2". That wouldn't be a PITA if the trans cooler lines didn't route through the grill support.

No matter; that's what the welder is for. I whipped up a patch panel out of my F-150's old bedside, used my shrinking stump and English wheel to establish the correct compound curves in it, then burned it in and sanded it smooth.

Presto-chango, the hole for the trans cooler lines has magically moved over 2". 🙂 These parts can head over to the other shop for paint.

5941 - 5958 of 5958 Posts