TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dealer is trying to say that they (or Ford) have never heard of Tbirds blowing multiple heater cores. I know there are a number of other people that have blown 2, 3, 4, +.
So please post if you have blown more then one core so I can print this thread out and show it to my dealer. Thanks.

·
Registered
240 Posts
funny you should ask!!!

I have had THREE heater cores in the last 2 years or so. My first went in December of last year. In march they replaced it. (they said that my leaky radiator caused the failure and they wouldn't cover it under warranty) The second core lasted a little more than a year and it went last March. No warranty fix because I had gone more then 12k miles. I have added a surficant to my coolant this time so maybe I will be o.k. this time.

The thing that makes me MAD is that my dealer cannot tell me what is making my cores fail. They just keep replacing them.

By the way, since when does a radiator leak CAUSE a heater core failure? Was I HOSED?

·
8,239 Posts
Jack, I hope yours are getting done by the dealer under warantee.

I have a 95 4.6 tbird, which has blown two heater cores in two years. I'm keeping my fingers crossed so it doesn't blow again. The coolant is absolutely clean, no rust or anything in it. It gets flushed twice a year. Now, I'm using grounding straps to prevent electrolisis of the water. Hopefully this will solve the problem.

Also, my 90 3.8 tbird blew one.

GRRR!

Ford did a good job of putting the heater core in a place where you have to rip the dash apart to get at it. Why the hell didn't they put it behind the glovebox like I have seen in many other cars?

Justin

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
I blew 3

I had a 96 V8 thunderbird, which I bought in october of 00, in november, I blew a core, paid 500 bucks to have it fixed, and all was fine, untill march of 01 when I blew another, then again in april I blew my 3rd, by the third core, the dealer tried to get out of fixing it with the warrenty of the orginal repair, and they told me that I had a blown headgasket or a cracked head which was causing exhaust gases to eat away at the heatercore material and that they wanted to tear my 4.6 down to the block before fixing the core, I told them no, just to put the core in and bypass it so I didnt have to worry about it anymore, personally I think it was preassure in the system causing it, which may have been triggered by "stopleak" being poured in my coolant resavour. I also heard that the MN12 had a problem with the thermostat not opening fast enough so people get them, and drive at "normal" (but too fast for this problem) speeds, which causes excess preassure buildup and blows the core out. I dont know what the solution is to this problem, that is why I dont own my thunderbird anymore. Possibly re-doing the ENTIRE cooling system would be a fix (new radiator, hoses, heatercore, etc) possibly higher flow equipment? I also heard that it could be the water pump puts out too much preassure blowing the core.

Earl

·
Registered
510 Posts
I am sure the reason the cores blow because of the poor materials they are made from. I was amazed how flimsy & cheap they looked when I changed one in a ford tempo I had. For gosh sakes, my radiator is made from plastic & aluminum & it will probably last forever, a heater core appears to be made from the crappiest metals know to man, but when it blows (and it will one day), there's a big profit in labor to be made.

Cup

·
Registered
117 Posts
not sure if i remember

i think im on 4 , and its out now, i have it unhooked ,

the one from the factory, lasted 5 years i think, and then 3 in 1 year,

gotta make my own,

·
Registered
376 Posts
I read somewhere that heater core problems can be caused by a bad ground that causes electrolysis in the coolant, and that this can be checked by testing for current between the coolant and a good ground.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BigBird - My core is grounded along the directions of the TSB and I have a restrictor in the coolant line, and I have underdrive pulleys which would even decrease the coolant flow further. Yet the core are still blowing. Its a major design flaw that Ford didn't want to re-engineer because they knew that they were going to drop the MN-12.

·
Registered
376 Posts
My bird is a 97 which I purchased new. It has 203,000 Kms on it and I have had no problems with heater core yet. Is there a time pattern to this?

·
8,239 Posts
My 95 blew the core at 45k miles two years ago, then again at 65k miles this year.

JH

bigbird said:
My bird is a 97 which I purchased new. It has 203,000 Kms on it and I have had no problems with heater core yet. Is there a time pattern to this?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts