TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When doing my 3.8 to 4.6 swap EVERYONE told me "You need to change your dash harness..blah blah blah." When I all these people told me this none of them had even done this swap. It was all just rumors. Well glad to tell you all that as soon as we put in the 4.6 ECU guess what. The ODBII connector that came with my 94 3.8 worked just perfect. Nothing needed to be changed. So dash harness is the same, well at least when it comes to the ODB II connector goes. Another example of how people say things that they know nothing about.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
well I was sure fooled. Thanks for the info. I will look into it since I have the shop manuals with wiring diagrams and one of each typr of car on hand to look at.

Now it might be next time this year that I finally get around to it though. LOL

But for now we have new information to work with.

Darrin

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah the whole needing to re-wire the whole car is totally wrong. You need the engine harness off a 94/95 a 96 97 engine harness can work but makes it a bit more difficult but can work. You need a V8 94 95 ECU if that year harness is used. Get the harness from the engine all the way to the ECU. That is ALL the wiring you will need.

Things people never knew: You need V8 AC lines, all V8 power steering lines, different sensors, throttle cables, alt...a bunch of the small things. But as far as wiring goes, what the 3.8 has mostly will work.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Well, being wrong is a good thing. It means that you learned something new so that you can be more right about it the next time it comes up.

Forgive me if I need to see it for myself. I don't really doubt it, but can you blame me for wanting to make sure before I go repeating it?

Darrin

·
Banned
5,377 Posts
what do you expect alex? its an online forum with people that talk smack...lol

yea replace your starter its bad.....*tests starter*.......*starter=passed*.......*scratches head*..........errrrrrrrrrrrr

dont get me wrong there is a ton of great knowledge here IF you know how to look for it or how to ASK for it.

I never heard of people saying you needed a v8 dash harness and i dont think i even told you that you needed it. i guess i didnt follow your threads close enough to realize people were saying that. the way i found out that you were right is when you told me all you needed was the obd2 connections and i was like "duh". a dash harness should be the same which makes sense.

Congrats on being the first to convert from a 94 3.8 to a 04 pi...i hope the little knowledge that we swapped from time to time helped us both out.

I still want to see it in person ;)

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
well you have to count most of my expereince is in the field and i have had to rewire my car with the three. so get off your damn high horse. ya i said it. most of the cars dont have harnesses like that that comes apart. the cables isuues are a known thing along with the a/c ,. also i am one of how many who has done a 94+ to early dash swap and actually completed it. so whatever , mr i am paying someone to do my car.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
in addition, most of the engine swaps that have been done here are not 3.8 to 4.6 your one of the few .

and if you really look at what i have done, you will find , my car is a 89 with a 5.0 - never exisited, i had to rewire the whole front end of the car as you did as well. and i had to change out the dash wiring to , becasue i lost the pos digital cluster. so , ya deal with it before you start attacking people

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
Pretty easy to see the variances by looking at the harness information in the evtm. This isn’t specific to the cluster (they are dashboard wiring) but here are the easy ones I found just by looking. Cable set with connector # C167 has 3 variants depending on engine (3.8us, 3.8ca & 4.6), C174 has 2 variants (3.8 & 4.6) and the pcm harness shows 2 variants (C269 for 3,8 & 3.8sc and C292 for 4.6).

94onair I suspect that anyone just looking at that may be inclined to suggest that the potential may exist to have a wiring issue. We are glad to hear that you didn’t have any issues and even more glad that you leant you insight and expertise in such a constructive manor.

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
just to put an end to the whole its not worth the swap thing that everyone says. how much have you put into this in parts/labor? all i wanna prove is if it IS or ISNT worth it.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My last comment: If someone offered me $8,000 for my car I would sell it in a second. That should tell you how I feel about this car.

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
My last comment: If someone offered me $8,000 for my car I would sell it in a second. That should tell you how I feel about this car.

that doesnt tell me nothing. whats the swap cost?

·
13's or Mildly Broken
2,676 Posts
Just for the record, what little I was told about the SC swap, I was told I would haveta swap the dash too - but in the end, we didn't. Just the EEC and EEC harness. And after the swap, I didn't get on the board and claim anyone was wrong. Be glad you didn't haveta swap dashes. My dad and I had to swap dashes in his 94 (twice.. don't ask) and it's a pain.

-Melon

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
he could have saved himself the egocentric and imflamitory comments by just analyzing the EVTM wiring diagrams.....just as 'brain had mentioned earlier.

then again, analyzing a wiring diagram - to paraphrase 94ONAIR "some people wouldnt know where to begin".

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wiring diagram- I would have been lost. Isn't that like reading directions when putting something together? Who does that.

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
Wiring diagram- I would have been lost. Isn't that like reading directions when putting something together? Who does that.
a smart person.

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
Things people never knew: You need V8 AC lines, all V8 power steering lines, different sensors, throttle cables, alt...a bunch of the small things.

What kind of comment is that? Of course people know items like that need to be changed.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
What kind of comment is that? Of course people know items like that need to be changed.
You may think that, but I have recieved 5 PM's today alone asking me "Why do you need to chane all the AC lines" Also got the question today "why can't I use the same alt?" Why do I need to change power steering lines, they run the same on all t-birds" So no people don't know that.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts