TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys,

I may have lucked up on something here. My friend who has a garage called me today to tell me about a potential 4.6 for my 95 bird with a roached engine. Its out of 2000 (or so) Florida Highway Patrol Crown Vic. Here's the killer-its a supercharged PI motor. The guy's a retired Florida State Trooper who got it when they rotated it out of service. Last week it was t-boned while the dude's wife was driving it, so its totaled (bent rear axle, among other things) but the motor and trans are fine (the guy actually drove it to the shop this morning (totally tweaked rear wheel and all) to show it to my friend, and ask if he knew someone who'd want the motor and trans!) It has something like 65K on it. The only reason I know that its not BS is that I saw one about 5 years ago. My uncle's next door neighbor in Charlotte is a Carolina State Trooper, and he had a Crown slicktop sitting in his driveway one weekend I was down visiting. I had a chance to look under the hood and it did indeed have a screw style supercharger. It looked a lot like the setup in the lightnings and HD's, but with the 4.6. I spoke with my cousin today (who works for Ford at their proving grounds in Michigan) and he said that Ford made a few as special orders for Florida, Texas (along the border) and N Carolina (there are supposed to be two near Charlotte, one of which replaced the one I saw, I would guess), primarily to catch drug runners who were completely outrunning the regular Crowns in key areas. He also said they run about 150 without the lightbar.

I'm waiting for my buddy to ring me concerning how much the guy wants for the setup. I'm sure it'll be cheap, but I'm just wondering how much of a fight is this gonna be to get running in my bird? Here's what I'm thinking I'll need-please interrupt me at any time;
  1. I'm sure I'll need the computer, or will I?
  2. Are the engine mounts in a crown in the same place for a 4.6?
  3. Am I buying a new hood?
  4. is the trans housing the same size as mine-i.e. will an aluminum driveshaft for a bird bolt up behind this?
  5. fuel lines? egr?
  6. Is the Maurauder supercharged or Normally aspirated DOHC? I'm asking to see if that may be the motor that's in this car, with a supercharger on it. My cousin is looking for some specs on this, but since these cars weren't "production" per-se he said he may have a fun time. Anyone familiar with this setup?
I'll know more once I get to look at the motor in person, but if anyone is familiar with this seemingly super rare setup I'd love to hear from you. Cheers in advance for any help.

Cheers,

D

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
The marauder is a NA car.If it is a DOHC it is not a PI motor.Those were 2V's.But if it is DOHC maybe it has a M112 blower on it.Which is what the cobras had.If it is a regular PI and it is in the crown vic I believe it will bolt up to your crossmember just fine.I think the CV PI motors were Romeo.

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
If it's a 4.6 of any flavor it will bolt to your K member. Let us know what it turns out to be and we can answer more questions.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
If it's a 4.6 of any flavor it will bolt to your K member. Let us know what it turns out to be and we can answer more questions.
I thought the Windsor blocks mounted differently?Maybe not.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts

·
Banned
2,009 Posts
I would snatch the engine, transmission, wiring harness, EEC, radiator... Heck if I was doing the swap I would pull the suka next to my car and inspect and swap all newer parts. ;)

You are not going to know about the hood until you measure it or do a test fit.

Dunno about the drive shaft but it is safe to say that it was hit in the rear it would have to be sent out to get checked and balanced. If it is longer you can always have it shortened. If it is shorter then you minus well toss it... :mad:

Fuel lines/ rails should not be a problem with the press in fuel hoses. :cool: I would need to see a picture to comment... :eek:

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
If its a Crown Vic, it doesnt have a Marauder motor.
Not true. I have a friend whose dad went out and bought a CV from the dealership with a Marauder package. My friend was telling me that it had the Marauder motor, wheels, etc. and I thought he was full of it. Then he popped the hood and showed me. I suppose it is possible that it was custom made by a performance shop but why would he lie about it?

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
Or if it turns out to be a PI motor with an SVO blower on it it will clear the hood fine after you trim the cross brace above the alt

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
no not really, you have to grind the motor mount a bit to get it to clear one of the castings on the block.
you have to grind both mount plates to clear several places in the block casting

i have proof.. there is a windsor in my engine bay.. we also had to grind the block

Florida patrol vehicles have a lot of interesting tidbits.. haven't heard of a screw type blower in them... centri's definitely... a "dealer" in Jacksonville had a hand in that with FHP

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
Not true. I have a friend whose dad went out and bought a CV from the dealership with a Marauder package. My friend was telling me that it had the Marauder motor, wheels, etc. and I thought he was full of it. Then he popped the hood and showed me. I suppose it is possible that it was custom made by a performance shop but why would he lie about it?
im sure a shop can do it...but Mercury offered interceptor spec Maruaders for pursuit duty.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Oil pan is different My 94 has a CVPI block in it and the pan would not clear the K-member(PS new motor mounts before you ask). Put a Bird pan on the car, no problems at all. Yah grab the whole thing if you can sell the corpse later...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts