TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a new motor built for my T-Bird, and wondered if anybody has dyno results from a similar combination:
* big bore aluminum block (5.0L displacement)
* ported & polished NPI heads with +1mm S.S. valves
* compression ratio around 9.0:1
* cams TBD, but not too agressive
* Motorsports 6psi non-intercooled supercharger

Would appreciate any data or reasonable predictions you can provide.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
365rwhp. Just my guess.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm actually most interested in what torque to expect. I'm running a Torsen T2 limited slip, and according to their engineer I shouldn't exceed about 430 lb-ft if I want the unit to continue to live.

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
You won't be over 430, trust me.

Depending on intake, cam, and header combo, you will see anywhere from 300 to 340 rwhp.

Pete

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
Missed the part about the SVO blower. Even still, I doubt it will be able to build 6 psi of boost with that engine combo, and if it does, the outlet temps would be pretty high, really preventing any additional power prodcution. Sure would help out the torque curve though.

Pete

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BIG PETE,

Yes, with the larger displacement and reduced airflow restriction, I expect the actual boost will be less than 6 psi.

Any suggestions on what cams to use?

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
The Crane mild blower profiles would probably suit you well, but I really wouldn't expect over 350-360 RWHP with the SVO and that setup. The blower's really maxed out from an efficiency standpoint.

Pete

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
BIG PETE,

350-360 rwhp should get me where I want to be. The car runs low 14s (at least in cool air) with only 220 rwhp, and I want to get into the 12s.

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
It will definately go 12's, still up in the air though about the power estimates. I think 350 is a safe bet. However, even my NA big bore has the potential to go 12's on a cool day with some sticky tires. My 13.6 corrected was on my daily ones with a 2.12 60' time. I only have a 3500 stall converter and 3.73's too.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
BIG PETE,

I've got more gear (4.10) but less stall speed (2800) than your combination. And, I do have drag radials to run at the track.

By the way, do you know of a formula or inexpensive calculation software which will predict 1/4 mile ET using vehicle weight, power, etc?

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
driller,

Thanks, that program is pretty accurate. I put in my current power level and the trap speed it predicted was within 0.2 mph of my best actual run! The ET was a little optimistic (0.08 sec faster), and the 60' was a little pessimistic (0.12 sec slower), but overall a good predictor. Based on this, if I can get to 350 rwhp, the car should run very low 12's, maybe even high 11's on a good day. That would be very, very satisfying.

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
Cool calculator, man! But, yeah, it totally backs what I said about 300 RWHP being enough to get into the 12's with some sticky tires... Not to mention that several guys around here (Johnny Langton, KDanner, and a few others) have actually done it, and I really think I'm a tire swap away from it as well.

Pete

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
BIG PETE,

You will love drag radials. The biggest benefit I found over street tires was that they made the car very consistent from run to run. My 60' times on street tires varied as much as 0.3 seconds, but with the DRs all runs are within 0.1 second or less of each other.

I've had good luck with B.F.Goodrich drag radials, at least at my current modest power level. That said, I'm going to need bigger meats with the new engine, and I'm looking at Mickey Thompson ET Street Radials. They seem to have a very good reputation.

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
ET Streets is what I was considering. What 60' times were you getting with the DR's?

Pete

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
BIG PETE,

Mostly in the range of 2.04-2.10. I'm able to leave the line with very little wheelspin. But, keep in mind that this is with only 218 rwhp.

·
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher
3,232 Posts
300rwhp is enough to run an 11 if the weather,vehicle setup,gearing are all dead on.
JL

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
Definately true, JL, otherwise you and KD wouldn't be knocking on that door with a little over 300 RWHP.

Pete

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.