TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Koolbreeze
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The thing goes up about halfway then sounds like the gears aren't connecting anymore, and I have to pull it the rest of the way up.
The same thing happens when it goes down, If I push on it while the little motor is still goin, the gears will finally catch and pull it the rest of the way down.

for now, I'm gonna pull the radio out and disconnect the power antenna wire(if I can)
but does anybody know how much it costs to fix this? Like a new unit or what ever's needed? And how hard it is to do? I'm assuming the fender must come off.

Thanks

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
try this....spray it down with wd-40, and make it go up a down twice, wiping it with a rag when up. Leave it UP...letting the WD-40 evaporate. Then spray it with white lithium grease, make it go up and down a few times.

If that doesn't fix it, they are frequently sold on e-bay.

·
Slacks 12 months a year, TCCoAAC Member
2,530 Posts
Get a new mast.....

I paid $32 for a new one from Ford.Mine wouldnt go up or down and all you heard was gears grinding.It is a vey simple fix.Even comes with instructions.
Good Luck,
Chris

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
Re: Get a new mast.....

LX-Tasy said:
I paid $32 for a new one from Ford.Mine wouldnt go up or down and all you heard was gears grinding.It is a vey simple fix.Even comes with instructions.
Good Luck,
Chris
Yeah....but isn't 50 cents worth of aerosol worth trying first?

·
2,530 Posts
Maybe for the whole assembly...

W.Cup said:
Only $32?? I figured that it would be at least $100.
But if the motor is still runiing that means it is still good.The mast is the only thing that usually goes bad.Bends or breaks.
Chris

·
2,530 Posts
Re: Re: Get a new mast.....

GreenBird said:

Yeah....but isn't 50 cents worth of aerosol worth trying first?
Been there done that 2 many times.It might have just a slight bend in it and that will cause it to lock up.Try the WD40 but 9 times out of 10 you will end up re-placing the mast.Have done about 6 of these out of 7 that had the same problem.
Chris

·
Koolbreeze
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys!

·
Gauge master
884 Posts
I had the same problem with my '95. It would go up about halfway and then make a grinding noise. I'd have to pull it up if I wanted it any higher. Going down, I'd have to push it down to about halfway, and then it would pull itself down, sometimes.

My solution: I went to the junkyard and pulled out a fixed mast antenna for $3. I could have picked up a power unit for $5, but I felt better about the fixed mast idea.

I cut apart the old factory power unit and found that there is a white plastic runner (for lack of any better word) that connects the top section of the antenna to the motor mechanism. This was broken at about the middle of the antenna.

Lubricating the mast is a good thing to do, even if your antenna works fine. It's a good preventative thing. But if that white plastice runner is broken, it's all over.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts