TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Power antenna is making bad noise.

I have a power antenna on my car. For a while now it will raise up on it's own just fine when the radio is turned on, but it would not lower at all. You would hear the motor to the antenna running when you turn off the car, but it would not go down. I tried to clean and oil it, but no change.

Not to long ago I went to puch it back down (as I always did), and it grabbed (power was off), and the tip bent a bit.

Now it raises up when the radio is turned on, AND it goes down all by itself, but it makes a horrible sound (like a plastic gear is locked up and the mating gear is still running) when it reaches full extend or full retract. It is working, but not working right. What's up with that.

Is the whole assy. shot, or is this a common problem and it just needs to be removed, cleaned, alighned, etc.???

Any ideas???

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I'd say shot...
Inside the antenna there's a long plastic band with "gears"
So when you turn the radio on the e-motor turns one way
to push the plastic band away and the oposite when you
turn it off...

There's probably a tooth on the plastic band that's missing...

It's just to open and check but it's probably hard to fix it..
Sorry

/Per

·
Registered
232 Posts
If its the plastic geared band that is giving you problems it is easy to fix. Disassemble the antenna while its fully extended. Pull out the plastic band. Then have someone turn the radio off while you feed the band back into the housing. Let the band pull itself in. Dont force it or you will wreck it. Usually it works the first time but you may need to try it a few times if this is the problem.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
The easiest and cheapest way to fix it is simply replace the mast. they are cheap on ebay or probably a local auto parts store. I had mine fixed in less than 15 minutes. Even less if the plastic band with gears is in one piece. simply follow the included instructions to remeove the mast and replace it. If its broken then you have to remove the wheel and fender liner to access the antennae, then disassemble the antennae, remove the broken piece, and reassemble with the new mast.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
I just knocked mine out with a hammer and glassed over the hole when mine broke. Then I got satellite radio and I've never missed regular radio.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My car stereo is ready for XM, and since Iam shaving the handles, keyless entry key pad, and the trunk lock I like the idea of shaving the antenna hole also. I'll go to XM and shave it...

Thank you

·
Registered
139 Posts
ive got a 95 also :) hey im new here is it hard to get a few more horses out of this 4.6 w/o spending a fortune?

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
angf117 said:
ive got a 95 also :) hey im new here is it hard to get a few more horses out of this 4.6 w/o spending a fortune?
Not hard, just do some searching here, and check the technical articles.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts