TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,I have had my 89 SC for 2 yrs. and she has been a princess....meaning no major problems before. Lately though, she is falling apart. First the radiator blew out,3 days after I replaced it the fan quit working. While replacing the fan I noticed that the power steering pump is leaking. The auto supplies can get it with or without "Power assist", my question is; is there some visual way I can determine whether my SC has power assist or not? I am clueless as to what they mean. On a side note...I lost a lot of power over the past few days,it'll barely climb a 35 degree hill in first. MAS perhaps? Any help would be appreciated and thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,524 Posts
I believe what you/they are referring to is the variable assist power steering. This is more or less an orifice on the power steering pump to control the pressure of the fluid through the rack. All SCs had this option; however a 3.8 NA pump will bolt up and work as well. Those from a 5.0 or 4.6 won't work. The 89 SC pump model number is unique from the later 3.8 years though and while I assume you should be able to interchange model years, I'd hold off until someone knows for sure on that model year.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
A 5.0 pump will work but will need to change the reservoir. All SBF use the C2 pump.

If your EVO is good I suggest getting a pump without it and save yourself some money. Both my SC and 5.0 have it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your input,essentially you are saying that I can order either pump,correct? They are both 42.00 so if the car doesn't care...I wont either.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
If all you are replacing is the pump yes you can get any 5.0/3.8 pump. If your EVO is good you can get the one without it (and swap the fitting around). If you need a reservoir you will need a SC one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts