TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have been experiencing an interesting issue. It only happens under Very hard cornering. My 95 Cougar 4.6 will temporarily cut power like a traction or stability control. I first noticed this when I was trying to do some donuts for fun on private property. about halfway through the slide the car felt like it stalled then picked up again maybe after 2 seconds, Just long enough for the tires to stop spinning. I had this happen on a road course as well on a hard turn. I tried it again in the snow and there was no issue then. It slid around in 2nd gear with no problem. It does not have a traction control button and if I do a brake stand it will spin and stay spinning without cutting out. I would like to get this figured out because its my play car and its a bit of a buzzkill when I cant take it out and have it behave right, is there any kind of failsafe that cuts engine power for things like that? it wasn't over revved I don't think I ever passed 5000rpm. it felt like my BMW with Stability control on if I tried to slide.

·
Super Moderator
7,622 Posts
Was it by chance on a right hand turn with less than 1/4 tank of gas? If so, then it is normal, and it is due to fuel pump and pickup being on the right side of the tank, and under a hard turn with under a 1/4 tank, all the fuel will slosh to the opposite side of the tank, and it starves for fuel.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was a left turn and I was in between 1/4 and 1/2 Fuel. I will fill it and see again. I know that in the snow I was below 1/4 and it was fine in both directions but don't require as much effort to slide. This car does have 300k miles however it could need a fuel pump, I haven't checked fuel pressure. runs perfectly fine as it is. besides a most likely broken accumulator spring (firm 2nd gear shifts)

·
Administrator
8,177 Posts
I remember there was something with the 94/95 cars having problems on sharp turns. The tranny was starving for fluid on turns (not sure which direction), so Ford came up with the deep sump style pan on the 96 model to prevent this. Just for the hell of it, check your tranny fluid level.

Joe

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
Was it by chance on a right hand turn with less than 1/4 tank of gas? If so, then it is normal, and it is due to fuel pump and pickup being on the right side of the tank, and under a hard turn with under a 1/4 tank, all the fuel will slosh to the opposite side of the tank, and it starves for fuel.
THIS:
I've experienced this exact same fuel cut on RH terms at the track as well with my 95 tbird chassis with a manual transmission.
It really does feel like you've lost power -- basically because you've cut fuel to your engine -- until the fuel comes sloshing back.
That's when we know to come back in for a refuel stop.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts