TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced my battery about 3 months ago, but I still seem to get a low readout on the dash. If I have my turn signal on, the gauge will actually move with the blinker. I can see that the head lights dim as well when I am stopped at a red light. Any idears?

Here is the gauge as of this morning while sitting at a light, I only had my headlights on.

·
Pedal Faster
2,658 Posts
How old is your alternator? How are your battery terminal connections? What's the condition of the ground cable (where it attaches to the battery, and where it attaches to the block, and the cable itself)?

·
Registered
4 Posts
i agree. u should 1st look at ALL the grounds in the engine bay. then, when they r all good and clean!! test the alternator. ALWAYS start w/ basics first.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Well I have another question relating to this. My voltmeter in my car is reading about average 13-14 volts when the car is running. However when I have my blinkers on it does the same thing. The voltmeter dips with the everytime the blinker blinks. I'm guessing this is normal? I'm thinking maybe its becouse my car is idling so low around 550 when stopped at a red light or making a turn. I need a new O2 sensor.

·
Pedal Faster
2,658 Posts
It's normal for the volt meter to twitch when the signal is on, it does it more in some cars than others for whatever reason, as long as you're still putting out decent voltage. It might be a sign of a weakening battery, but I wouldn't worry too much about it if your car is putting out reasonable voltage.

·
5,650 Posts
Well I have another question relating to this. My voltmeter in my car is reading about average 13-14 volts when the car is running. However when I have my blinkers on it does the same thing. The voltmeter dips with the everytime the blinker blinks. I'm guessing this is normal? I'm thinking maybe its becouse my car is idling so low around 550 when stopped at a red light or making a turn. I need a new O2 sensor.
Mine does the same thing. It didn't change with a 6 year old battery and 10 year old cables or a brand new battery and brand new cables.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts