TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have non-functioning locks, seats, trunk and keyless entry seemingly because somewhere it is grounding out. This problem started maybe a month ago and hasn't gotten any better.

The 20A circuit breaker in the fuse box under the dash gets very hot (too hot to touch) and none of the above stuff works. Now if I take it out and let it cool and then stick it back in everything works again until it gets hot (about 3 minutes tops). This is becoming a problem since my key won't turn in the door locks on both sides, which is something I'm trying to correct; but seeing that my wife is 5'2" and I'm 6'5" the power seat issue and trunk issue are big deals. Plus not being able to lock the car up is really bugging me.

Now looking at the factory cd I looked through the circuits and wiring for the power locks and seats and it seems very complex.

What I need help with from you guys are any tips or suggestions of where some weak points are or where some of the popular places for grounding out could be. I really don't want nor have time to rip my car apart and really don't want to have some shop guy go through my whole electrical system and charge me big bucks for this.

HELP ASAP!!!

·
Registered
303 Posts
Same thing in my '93 except it's seats, locks, remote fuel door. Trunk works fine. Wish I knew because I have disconnected the locks in the doors, the release motor for the fuel door and the motor for the seat. Doesn't matter. Dead short somewhere and I don't know where and haven't had the time to start ripping into the wiring harness.

Hope someone has an idea....

Michael

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
A real weak poing is at the connector to the wiring to the underhood light that's right behind the master brake cylinder. The wires going into this connector flex everytime you open and close the hood and eventually short out, taking all kinds of things with it. I recommend cutting this connector out and hard wiring the wires. It WILL cause the remore entry module to blow.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I would say to go to the modules themselves that are giving you the problems. Hence, the power lock module. There are probably 4 wires running to the switch for the power locks. With a digital multi meter, set the meter to continuity check. Affix one lead on the meter to a known ground. Check all other wires in the switch for ground. Some are supposed to be ground some not, for that consult your wiring diagram. Make sure that there is no continuity between the wires that are not a ground and the known ground. From here you may be able to locate a short in the wiring.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your problem.

danman

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I think the power seat harness underneath the front seats grounds out a lot. Also, you could have a wiring problem under one of the door sills. I have heard of lots of problems with the wiring in those spots.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts