TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I havent really checked into this because I've been so busy with school. I installed a 90MM LMAF and inject tech chip. I'm running 22cs also. At WOT, around 3500 rpms, the car bogs for a second, not even bad, but its a noticeable power loss. It picks right up again though afterwards. Someone on here before suggested that it may be the TC locking up, but I thought the chip locked it at WOT anyway? How could I make for sure if it is the TC locking up when this happens? I have a data+code scanner so I can watch PIDs, if you know which ones I should look at. Thanks in advance.
-Rob

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I dont think the thing will lock up unless your crusing. If it is locked then there is no torque multiplication. I would check to see what your voltage is on the MAF. I have heard the 90s are too big for cars with minimum mods. At WOT you should have from 2-3 (high threes are best at high flow). Check your plugs and see if they are bone white. It sounds like tip in hesitation and is usually caused by a lean condition. Im not sure if your chip is set up for the MAF. If it is I would check the voltage. They go to 4 which is the absolute max.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
actually, the inject tech and it's relatives do lock up the TC. However, I think it should be doing it sooner than 3500rpms....

best bet is to talk to FordChip.com

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I personally dont think its the TC, I just thought I'd explore it. If definitely locks when cruising. At low RPMs in 3rd or OD I guess, just lightly touching the gas will make it kinda "buck" like a standard car when you shift too early. I don't mind this at all though. Maybe I'll just hook up the scanner sometime and watch different voltages. Thanks
-ROb

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lol, yeah. It was already clean though.
-Rob

·
Registered
803 Posts
Is this a WOT from a standing start or are you cruising along then going WOT?

If it only seems to happen when you are cruising and then going WOT, then it is TC. The shift scheme unlocks the TC usually when the downshift occurs, then it will lock based on the table and times.
If it happens when you are going WOT from a standing start, I would look more at engine dynamics. IE MAF function a little off.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It does it from both a dead stop and kickdown. :D
-Rob

·
Registered
803 Posts
I would lean more towards the tune and how your combo responds to it more than the TC.
Since you have a '95, here are some things.
First, TC never locks in 1st gear unless you did something special. If it is hard to tell what is going on due to things happening too fast, ride the brake.

Second, start in 2nd gear from a stop and go WOT, you will be able to tell when the TC locks, there will be a slight bog. Maybe the lockup point is not the same as the bog you describe and you may get two bogs.

I think more of it has to do with load being calculated funny. Without an Air Fuel trace on your setup, its hard to say. My LMAF was off the factory curve due to air filter and other things.

I actually put a switch on my old car to test the effect of locking and not locking the converter on my track times. Just found the solenoid wire and spliced a toggle switch in there.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
air fuel trace? What would I need to trace them? I'm also thinking about getting a dyno tune when I install my "home-ported" heads. It would be cool if I could find someone in the Houston area to do it. How much is a dyno tune usually? Since the chip was burned for the 90mm LMAF, I don't see why I'm having problems. Thanks
-Rob

1 - 10 of 10 Posts