TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok did a search and found that some one has had the same problem as me back in 02 but no one really awnsered.My problem is my power mirrors, up and left work but not right and down replaced the switch but same thing so what els could it be? also i think i know the awnser to this and i have talked about this befor, but here it goes my windshield wipers only work on high,ive replaced the arm on the colum and also replaced the motor under the hood i think there is a relay also thats my last choice that i can think of but i dont know where it is really any help?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm new here (so new that I made my first post yesterday...), and I don't have a solution for you, BUT you can take a little consolation that the 1992 Thunderbird that I just bought has exactly the same problem as yours. Thankfully, it's only on the passenger side mirror, but just as you described, it will only move up and left work, but down and right are a no-go.

I'd be extremely interested in the solution for this, as well.

·
Super Moderator
11,031 Posts
There's two switches...

one selects right/left mirror , one does the alignment; it's kinda like the hat switch in my joystick...

Just from troubleshooting 101, if both mirrors have the same prob, its not the mirrors. ( i could be wrong, but you have to start from what you know...)

I'd see whether the switches were actually turning on; that is only the drivers door panel to ...mess with. I don't think there is a module in between...

One motor does L/R; one does U/D... should be easy to trace...

·
Registered
8 Posts
The mirror motors on each side are working on only 1 direction. Therefore, the mirrors themselves move up and left only. The current doesn't appear to switch polarity. The Ford service manual offers no solution to this problem. A new switch makes no difference. If anyone has a specific knowledge of this issue and could offer any guidance beyond how easy it should be to fix, I'd really appreciate it.

·
Super Moderator
11,031 Posts
From theelectrical book, pg 124-1

looks like there are three wires to each mirror.

Yellow is common to both motors, on both sides.

purple is up/dn on the right, dark blue on the left

dark green is l/r on the right, red on the left

these are swapped by the l/r switch.

The polarity swap is done by each switch set, either the up/dn pair, or the l/r pair.

There are two double pole switches for each direction, and they move together, one hot, one ground, and swap polarity to make it move.

Both switches in each pair has to work for it to move.

The hot wire is light green with a yellow tracer; the ground is black.

Either a switch is bad, a wire to each side of the car is bad, one motor in each pod is bad, or possibly there's a problem at conn 550, which is where the switch plugs in.

check continuity at the conn, the four mirror wires to yellow, while moving the switch.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for the (extremely) detailed guidance, Grog6. The only thing I'm confused about is the one motor in each pod is bad possibility. If each mirror moves both vertically and horizontally (just in one direction), wouldn't that imply that both motors (in each mirror) work? Thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
11,031 Posts
you are right;

That would imply that one switch in each pair is bad.

I'll try to hook my scanner up tonight, and I'll see if I can post the diagram.

I know you said you replaced the switch, but could it be bad?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
well awsome we finaly shed some light on the subject. To bad my bird is now resting two hours from my house so i cant investigate. soon as i'm near my car i'll check some wires too.
As common as this problem is starting to sound the switch may be bad. I pulled it from the junck yard and was unable to test it first, so who knows

·
Registered
8 Posts
Grog6 said:
That would imply that one switch in each pair is bad.

I'll try to hook my scanner up tonight, and I'll see if I can post the diagram.

I know you said you replaced the switch, but could it be bad?
I'm pretty sure the switch is fine. I've had it apart, it's very simple and I think it would be obvious if it was broken. And the replacement switch gave the same result. I have the Ford service manual for 92 and it offers up numerous failure scenerios and what to check. But the problem I have isn't even listed as a possibility. I'll monkey around with it some more. Thanks again :)

·
Super Moderator
11,031 Posts
You should be able to test it with some wires...

Disconnect the connector at the switch; the book says its #550

Connect the yellow wire to the light green with yellow stripe.

Try shorting the purple or dark blue to ground (black wire)

The up/dn motor should move...dont leave it connected, might fry the motor if you leave it on too long.

If it moves, in a way you already had, disconnect the yellow wire, connect it to the black wire, and try connecting the purple or DB wires to the LG/Y wire. it should move the other way.

If the motors don't move both directions this time, its a pretty good bet you need new motors...

If you blow a fuse, its the interior lamps fuse....:tongue:

Gook luck with it...

(I just happened to buy the wiring manual from Helm Inc.; they're on the web)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well, I got a chance to test the circuit per your instructions tonight Grog6 (thank you so much). The mirrors work correctly when jumped instead of using the switch. I took one of the switches apart, cleaned it up and resoldered all the connections and it didn't help. I ordered a new switch from the dealer. $67.20 plus tax, ouch. But it drives me nuts to have power mirrors that don't work. My torso seems to shrink 6 inches between the morning commute and the afternoon commute :)

·
Super Moderator
11,031 Posts
I noticed that one of the surplus places had mirror actuators...

cheap, from some type of car.

Could you post a pic of the inside of the mirror, if anyone has one?

With two Cats I'll need to work on one eventually...:)

Glad it worked... $63 sucks, but working is better than not, always!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts