TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a stock 94 3.8 LX. Will the 89-02 3.8L powerpack from supersixmotorsports.com work on our bird. And is it worth the money. Thanks for the help.:)

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Supersix=OVERPRICED, you can do better for cheaper.
cheapest way to more power is vortech supercharger kit for 94-98 mustang 3.8L's I'm installing my kit in the spring and be figuring out what modifications need to be done to make the kit a "true" bolt on for our Thunderbirds/cougars. Typical stock 3.8L pulls around 170rwhp and 230rwtq with the vortech kit in the mustangs.(stock is about 115rwhp and 180rwtq

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I heard that the stock 3.8 in our birds wouldnt hold up very well to a supercharger. Wouldnt some bottom end work need to be done to strengthen it to hold the boost. Also is there any other places that sell performance heads and intakes that will fit our cars.

thanks

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Performance heads and intakes = NO
Ported STOCK heads and Intakes = Yes
I GOOD set of ported heads and intakes will get you everybit of 35hp more hp.
Add a cam to that and you have another 10-15hp

Our stock engines hold up just fine to mild boost, and a vortech is different type of supercharger than a ROOTS style like the stock supercoupe one. The vortech starts to make boost around 1psi @ 2500-3000 rpm and builds to around 7-8psi @ 5000rpm which our engine can handle just fine with a good chip/tune (fordchip.com).
what kills the N/A is LOW end boost, a supercoupe blower has
[email protected] which would severly shorten the life of the 3.8L N/A block.(4-5psi is ok at that point though)

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
so would a vortech supercharger not be a goodthing to use with a torque converter? or better? I want a high stall torque converter and it would probably be a 3,000rpm or so. it would create instant boost from the sc correct? is that a good thing then?
-Thomas

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
yes, stall converter is a good thing to use with the vortech, 3000rpm is just about right with a mild camshaft installed also.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well in that case would it be better just to go ahead and put a 4.2 in there and work with that since they make around 205hp stock and work you way from there? Or just stick with the 3.8

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
well racherlee has just bought a vortech supercharger off eBay for 1700, I envy him, and plans on dropping in a 4.2. That man is my idol. But he's starting with a 3.8 and a vortech and then going to the 4.2 and putting the vortech on that. he'll still be using his single port intakes from what I know. I also believe he will try to manufacture the intake tube from the throttle body to the supercharger to make it a truebolt on application. otherwise everyone who gets one needs a custom one made. and I don't know about other places, but I've had a REALLY hard time finding a place around Iowa that does mandrel bending.
-Thomas

1 - 9 of 9 Posts