TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on my 91,(simple pump) the power steering at idle is almost effortless. On the 95 with speed variable steering, seems like you need more effort to turn the wheel when the car is not moving. Is this normal or is there something to check. The service manual talks about some special tool needed to read codes off this complex system.

·
5,650 Posts
You can test if there is a problem with the electrical part of it by unplugging the EVO steering actuator on the power steering pump. If steering assist gets better, then this indicates a problem somewhere in the system.

But a simpler question is how old and dirty is the fluid? Flushing the system and using fresh fluid can make a drastic difference.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can test if there is a problem with the electrical part of it by unplugging the EVO steering actuator on the power steering pump. If steering assist gets better, then this indicates a problem somewhere in the system.

But a simpler question is how old and dirty is the fluid? Flushing the system and using fresh fluid can make a drastic difference.
220K+ miles old. Guess a fluid flush is my first step, I can just take the return line off in a bucket and keep adding. The manual does not list PS fluid as a maint item, but then again the service interval ends at 125K!

95 is Type F fluid, right? Mercon was 96+ I believe. I have to check the manual.

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
just get power steering fluid.

And I would not run the pump dry either by pumping it out and adding back.
Just figure out a way to siphon the old fluid out of the resivoir, and fill back up....this may take a few times until you get cleaner looking fluid.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
just get power steering fluid.

And I would not run the pump dry either by pumping it out and adding back.
Just figure out a way to siphon the old fluid out of the resivoir, and fill back up....this may take a few times until you get cleaner looking fluid.
So like 5X or so with the turkey baster method.

True, low fluid is bad news, it aerates and destroys the pump in no time. I was thinking I could keep up with the outflow, but that is risky.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anyway, for future reference, the 1995 owners manual says Type F Transmission/steering fluid or Ford Premium PS fluid only. I guess the PS fluid in auto stores that says OK for Fords is fine.

No Mercon, its probably ok but I'm not going to risk it..

·
Super Moderator
10,570 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts