TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

1997 TBird with the 4.6L.

I just flushed my power steering system with about 4qts of Motorcraft Mercon V and have a question about the color of the fluid.

Before flushing, looking into the reservoir with a flashlight, the fluid looked like Ovaltine. But when it was being flushed out, it was a very, very dark red, not Ovaltine.

After the flush and fresh fill with Mercon V, when looking into the reservoir with a flashlight, the fluid in the reservoir still looks like Ovaltine. BUT when I sample the fluid in the reservoir, it's fresh and bright red Merc V.

Is the yellowish, semi-opaque color of the P/S reservoir making the fresh fluid in the reservoir look like Ovaltine to the naked eye?

·
Super Moderator
9,245 Posts
The pure depth of the fluid is doing that, combined with the fact that the white color of the P/S reservoir blocks most light entering the reservoir.

So yes, completely normal.

·
̇
3,701 Posts
CDsDontBurn said:
...why is Mercon V a better fluid to use other than Power Steering fluid?
I find Power Steering Fluid to be too thin, and on an old rack..Chances are..It will leak past the seals..

IMO..A clear or yellow colored Power Steering Fluid would be great to flush out the Power Steering System so you can visually see once it's clean..

Just make sure you get all that Power Steering Fluid out..Then get some Mercon V, or another transmission fluid of your choice to fill everything back up with..

Rayo..

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The pure depth of the fluid is doing that, combined with the fact that the white color of the P/S reservoir blocks most light entering the reservoir.

So yes, completely normal.
Thanks Terminator...that sets my mind at ease. Would have been cool if they made these reservoirs crystal clear, just from a nice visual perspective, as well as an easy way to see how your fluid is doing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts