TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Beer and Cheese
7,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So today I started my Coyote engine for the first time, had a couple leaks, but was able to fix them right away. I let the car run for 10 minutes to get to operating temp and starting to see some steam coming from the rack and power steering reservoir. I went under the car and the rack was super HOT. after checking the rack I noticed the lines were starting to get really soft. I turned the car off and the next thing I know the return line melted off the rack. Fluid everywhere. I filled it up with ATF trans fluid. Turning the steering wheel was stiff, didn't feel like power steering at all. Not sure what I did what I did wrong. This was a rack from the Rack Doctor as well. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks guys,

Josh

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
What style pump are you using and how is it arraigned?

·
Beer and Cheese
7,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The pump is a brand new Motorcraft for the Thunderbird 4.6. I used the same high pressure set up from your write up Matt. Low pressure on top and high pressure on bottom.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Where's the heat coming from? Is the power steering the original from the Thunderbird, or is it Coyote specific?

Is the pump spinning the correct direction?

I'm not sure what would generate that much heat to melt the high pressure line on power steering fluid. That just doesn't make sense to me.

·
Beer and Cheese
7,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't know honesty...

Yes this is a Tbird rack from the rack doctor. The pump is basicly the same pump in the 96-04 Mustang GT's. I have brackets that other guys are using to mate the pump in the stock position. So the pump should be going in the correct direction. The low pressure return line melted.

I was able to remove the rack tonight, and I missed that this line was damaged. Must have happened during shipping to me. Maybe this is the problem? :zdunno:

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,493 Posts
The pump is a brand new Motorcraft for the Thunderbird 4.6. I used the same high pressure set up from your write up Matt. Low pressure on top and high pressure on bottom.

Did you shave the threads of the blue adapter fitting on the pump side? There is an orifice in the middle of the threads on the pump that would be blocked by the adapter fitting if left unmodified.

·
Beer and Cheese
7,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I didn't shave anything off the blue fitting, but I drove the car with my old 2V set up with the same line and fitting in the past and never had a problem.

·
Beer and Cheese
7,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry I messed up, I thought you were talking about the blue fitting at the rack. I have a silver fitting on the pump.

·
Super Moderator
17,493 Posts
That's the incorrect fitting for the pump, they should be the same adapter at either end(just with the aforementioned cut threads on the pump one) using the Teflon seal at the flange area. That O-ring at the end effectively does nothing since that's not how the pump seals. That particular fitting would also block the oriface in the pump threads when fully seated.

·
Beer and Cheese
7,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well ****, how did I end up with the silver fitting? Summit must have sent me the wrong one back in the day when I followed your write up. I was supposed to get two blue Russel 670530

So with this wrong fitting and a kinked line, the pump is trying to push fluid (watermelon through a garden hose) and that is what caused a stiff turn on the wheel and heating up and melting the return line?

Sunny Beaches!

·
Super Moderator
17,493 Posts
The hole may be bigger in the one but both should be no smaller than -6 AN, which is what the ID of the hose is. I ran a similar fitting by mistake initially but my issue was with longterm sealing due to the improper flange and not overheating or anything functional. I still think the core issue is the blocked oriface in the pump threads.

·
̇
3,701 Posts
Did you remember to prime the Power Steering Pump before you started the car?

Rayo..

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
When I got my most recent Rack Doctor unit the lines were bent as well. Some of it may be from shipping, but it looks like he uses whatever he has that comes in on cores. I just swapped my tubes over to the 'new' unit.

When I rebuilt my Cougar, I decided to buy a magnetic inline filter with a screen. I also upgraded the cooler and put in a Rack Doctor unit. Somehow I ended up with a bit of sand in the cooler (nofa king idea??) and the screen on the filter clogged up. The pump was loud and I had zero assist. Before I could shut the car off it blew the seams on the B&M plate cooler. I guess the moral is that a filter is a good addition to the system.

Hope you get it figured out soon!

Reactions: OxmanWI

·
Beer and Cheese
7,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Did you remember to prime the Power Steering Pump before you started the car?

Rayo..
Before starting the car, I put fluid in the reservoir and turned the pulley by hand. That cause air bubbles to escape from the reservoir. Added more fluid. Turned the steering wheel lock to lock and once more turned the pulley by hand before starting. Once I started it turned the wheels again lock to lock and added more fluid after a couple starts. Let me know if I missed something.

·
̇
3,701 Posts
I don't see a problem with the way you primed the pump..

I know some coolers have to be hooked up a certain way..
The fluid will only flow into the INLET tube, then out of the OUTLET tube..It won't work the other way around..

I would try running it without the power steering cooler temporarily..
Basically just loop the lines that would go into the cooler..

Rayo..

·
Beer and Cheese
7,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yea the the cooler is original with the car. It's in great shape. I blew some compressed air in both ports and the lines, they didn't have any blockage. :zdunno:

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
I think the heat must have come from the kinked line.

·
Beer and Cheese
7,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
So today I replaced the line and bought a stock high pressure line from the part store. I did a loop to bypass the cooler for now. Started up and power steering! No whine and the steering wheel turns like butter. I ordered another blue fitting, I missed the part about have to grind down the threads. So I'm guessing the kinked line and the non shaved blue fitting was the culprit.

The only thing that I see might be a issue, but could be normal. The fluid in the reservoir splashes around in there. I don't ever remember it being like that, could be wrong.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts