TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Faster than Porkchop
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
97 4.6 tbird leaking power steering fluid .

I need to replace my power steering pressure hose and would like to have a walk through if possible . Any tips ?

Thanks

·
Faster than Porkchop
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got the power steering pump off but I cant disconnect the hose from either the pump or the rack ! I started to strip the nut on the pump so I called it quits foe today .

Does the thread go backwards on the hose or do I need a special wrench ?
What size wrench ?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
When you get it off you can take it to a hydraulic hose and equiptment store/shop and have them repair it or make you a new line.

·
Faster than Porkchop
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When you get it off you can take it to a hydraulic hose and equiptment store/shop and have them repair it or make you a new line.
I have the replacement hose here but I don't have the correct wrench to take the hose off . I need to know the size wrench that i need for the hose .

·
Registered
336 Posts
Did you use a flare-nut wrench? It's leaking, so the nut is soaked, and a normal wrench won't hold strong and may slip, Possibly that's why it started to strip.

sorry I can't comment on what size, but I need to do the same because mine is leaking too.

·
Faster than Porkchop
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not sure about the size but it's not reverse-threaded, it's normal.
I borrowed a flare nut wrench and that helped with the pump side now I only need to remove the rack side and this bithc is not moving I'm afraid of ruining the rack side fitting .

Did you use a flare-nut wrench? It's leaking, so the nut is soaked, and a normal wrench won't hold strong and may slip, Possibly that's why it started to strip.

I cant use the flare nut wrench because it wont go over the nut since its attached to the other rack end .

sorry I can't comment on what size, but I need to do the same because mine is leaking too.
Its a 18 size wrench but not a flare nut wrench that I need for the rack side .

I called my uncle so I hope he can save my project .

·
Registered
623 Posts
I don't know for sure if there is room for this but...
if there is, cut the metal line above the nut. You can now slide a 6 point socket or wrench over it that won't slip.

Good luck!

·
Faster than Porkchop
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The job is done !!

You need to remove the powers steering pump& hose's , the bracket ,oils filter undo the lower water hose unbolt the rack move it around till you see the nut .

Then you need to get a wrench on the rack side of the hose nut then wrench the nut on the power steering pump side and undo .

This is a pain in the ass job I now have a new leak from the rack side !!

I called it quits for now and I might start saving for a newer car since I have this new leak now .
Is 33 to young to start hating working on cars ?

·
Registered
875 Posts
I agree, when i did mine, all i could do for the day was curse the damn engineers that designed this setup. It's gotta be the worse damn power steering hose i've ever replaced.

Reactions: Jett

·
Faster than Porkchop
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have to re -do the whole job now but I'm going to take my time maybe work on it over a few weekends .
Looks like the rack might have to come down but not sure yet , I'm hoping its just an o ring that needs to be replaced .

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Awww man, that sucks. Last time I did a rack install in a 93 cougar I wound up bending the tubes that come out of the rack and meet the hoses The tubes no longer were sealing inside the nuts. I had to replace the nuts and push in a new tube (relatively cheap parts from ford). That's what I get for thinking I found an easy way to change it and not just doing it the sucky way like i do on my 94. On 3.8, you can just reach down by the power dist box to unhook the lines from the tubes, but on 4.6 i just do it all from the bottom and dont remove anything.
-Rob

·
Faster than Porkchop
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Awww man, that sucks. Last time I did a rack install in a 93 cougar I wound up bending the tubes that come out of the rack and meet the hoses The tubes no longer were sealing inside the nuts. I had to replace the nuts and push in a new tube (relatively cheap parts from ford). That's what I get for thinking I found an easy way to change it and not just doing it the sucky way like i do on my 94. On 3.8, you can just reach down by the power dist box to unhook the lines from the tubes, but on 4.6 i just do it all from the bottom and dont remove anything.
-Rob
Yes , that's what happened to me too lol , it was much easier this time around though . I left the pump on and just moved the rack till I got a good view after undoing the steering column .

Not too bad though , I guess after the first time you learn .

Thanks

Ohh I got away without replacing the o rings , the two bigest Ford dealers didnt have them in stock .

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
You lucky *****!

·
Faster than Porkchop
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Super Moderator
5,171 Posts
anyone replace this on a 5.0 car by chance??
Sure.

See my pics in the "Replace your pressure hose" sticky.

Three hints: Do your motor mounts. They're a LOT easier to do with the rack out.

Plan on new LCAs - it's a lot easier to reach the rack nuts while the LCA's out.

Learn how to cuss in a few more languages - I found Ferrengi and Klingon helped :diablo:

And count yourself lucky - I don't see HOW the 4.6'ers do it.

RwP

1 - 20 of 24 Posts