TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a very hard time seeing how the pressure line can be replaced on my 1995 tbird with a 4.6. I can't get a wrench on either the power steering pump or the rack. It looks like I may have to pull the pulley on the pump, but I'm very unclear as to how you can get to the rack side. You can't lower the rack (it seems) because the line fitting will prevent you from lowering it out of the sub frame.

Does anyone have recommendations oh how to best do this?

thanks

·
Faster than Porkchop
2,037 Posts
I have changed the fittings on mine , and if you loosen the two huge bolts and nuts you can wiggle it around to get the wrenches on it .

·
MAMN12 Posse Member
2,903 Posts
Taking the pulley off would definitely let you get to the pump side fitting. You can rent the puller from Autozone...works like a charm. As for the rack side, best of luck, I did mine when I had the engine out.

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
I use an 18mm crows foot with a couple extensions for the fitting at the rack .. this is one of my least favorite things to fix on a Tbird. :D

Oh yes .. it will be messy.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input, guys. I was going to ask what size the flare nuts are. Sounds like the one on the rear is 18MM; I'll try the crow's foot, and possibly the flare nut wrench cut in half method. Does anyone know what size the one on the pump is? Thanks for all the response!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Huh, I just checked the new line and it seems like 11/16, as opposed to the stocker with 18mm... grrr! I'll be getting the crows feet and see how this goes.

·
Faster than Porkchop
2,037 Posts
That bolt by the pulley is a ***** but just relax and take your time before you know it its off.
just don't twist the fitting on the rack side like I did when removing it.Get an extra hand if you need too.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I use an 18mm crows foot with a couple extensions for the fitting at the rack .. this is one of my least favorite things to fix on a Tbird. :D

Oh yes .. it will be messy.
Ditto. Did mine, it's not fun but patience and short little wrenches will do the rack fittings.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Guys, thanks for all the input. I got the old line out. Once I obtained a crow's foot 18mm, it wasn't too bad. I was very surprised that the fittings came apart without much trouble at all. Nothing twisted or broke. This old line is so rusty and crusty, I can't believe it lasted this long.

Before I put the new line on, I cleaned and painted all the metal to prevent rust. However, I did notice the PS cooling lines look really crusty, too. I can't find after market replacement parts for them; does anyone know a source? Or, is this something I'll have to have made up locally?

I really appreciate the recommendation on the crow's foot; that was the ticket.

Oh, the end by the pulley was not fun, you could only get 1/6 of a turn at a time, but it did eventually come out. Again, the crow's foot was very helpful in this area.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm replacing the PS presure side hose on my 93 w 5.0 and I sure could use some advice on how to reach those fittings on the rack. The joint I'm supposed to take apart looks very fragile and I'd rather remove the fitting at the rack & reinstall fitting on my new hose.
Link above didnt work for me...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts