TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 96 sport v8 that has the module behind the glove box. I have a 96 lx with a v8 that there is no module behind the glove box, instead there's a port that says evo/arc test. I've searched h the site and have found nothing. What is this port and where is the p/s module?

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's just my 94 feels tight and the two 96's feel like I have full assist. I've rebuilt the whole front end on the lx so I want to check the module. The sport has the glove box removed I just loosened the other one I'll look lower in the lx thanks guys.

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,454 Posts
If you unplug the orifice on the pump it will automatically default to full assist.

·
Banned
287 Posts
Does the 1996 - 1997 T-birds have that weird steering pump that makes steering harder at freeway speeds? Those pumps are pretty darn expensive, right? I think my 1996 SHO had the same thing. My steering started to want to lock up during very slow manuvers like pulling into parking spaces, all of a sudden the steering would lock and then sort of let go. Needless to say, I got rid of this car because a new pump was like $600.

·
Super Moderator
9,454 Posts
Nah, I paid around $100 for a reman. last year, plus a $40 core charge. The pump is the same among 94-97 4.6 MN12 and all FN10. But yes, it's speed sensitive variable assist: low assist at high speed, full assist at low speed, and full assist during abrupt maneuvers.

·
Super Moderator
10,910 Posts
If you order a new pump these days, you have to put your valve in it.

Save those valves!

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
What are symptoms of problems with the variable assist power steering on a 1997 T-Bird sport? I rebuilt my entire front suspension last year, and my front-end now feels tight, solid & the ride quality, especially over bumps, is excellent (I used all high-quality Moog and TRW components). However, I've always felt that my steering doesn't feel quite "right" - but only when driving on the highway at speeds of, say, 55 and above. When I drive my T-Bird on the highway and make the small steering corrections one must make while driving, it feels like my steering is too "tight", and that I have to exert enough force to overcome some friction or sticking ("stiction"?). At other times, my steering feels very tight, like I'm driving at a low speed and have no power assist. I've also noticed my wheel doesn't return to center after making a turn as strongly as I feel it should. I've had my car aligned 4 times since last year (not specifically for this issue), but I haven't noticed any change in these symptoms. Could these issues be indicative of a problem with the variable assist? Is there a way to disable the variable assist so I can see if that makes any difference?

Thanks,

Dennis

·
Super Moderator
9,454 Posts
Has the power steering system ever been flushed? I might start there if the answer is no.

You can disable the EVO module by unhooking the harness at the pump module; it will default to full assist at all times.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts