TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My pump is about 2 years old from Advance or Oreilly's. The steering rack is a little over a year old from Ford. Over the last couple of months I've noticed the steering being a little harder to turn. While on a trip out of town yesterday it got a lot worse. I can't turn the wheel at all when the car is stopped and it takes a lot of effort to turn it while its moving. There's not a lot of whine coming from the pump. Which is what I would normally expect if it was going out. Although there is more than there used to be. I hope it's not the rack. That's the biggest pain in the ass work I've ever done on this car.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't think of that. I'll try unplugging it and see what happens.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I haven't had a chance to do anything yet. My wife has class today so I'm here with my 2 1/2 year old son. I did read in one of the threads here that if the variable assist fails it goes to full assist.

·
Banned
2,185 Posts
unless she is broken in the way that she thinks you dont need full assist. why was removing the rack such a pain? i might be needing to do this one soon:(

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well that didn't work. It really doesn't look like the fluid is pumping at all. I would think there would be some kind of movement or froth of the fluid if it was pumping.

MC94XR7, as for the rack there is basically no room to work. It's one of those jobs that would be much easier with the engine out of the car.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Is this on your 4.6 or 3.8 ??

The only tricky part with removing the rack and pinion is loosening the high pressure fitting.

I just replaced the high pressure side on a 4.6 a couple weeks ago - was leaking A LOT. And the swivel fitting at the rack was bent also, so I needed to unbolt it from the subframe and lower it a bit to replace that. It was a very messy job because of all the leaking fluid everywhere. That was fun.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is this on your 4.6 or 3.8 ??
It's on the 4.6.

well there is one at the scrap yard. the sub frame is out of the car- im gonna go **** with it for a bit there
If you can snag the 90* fitting on the rack while you're there go ahead and grab it. It's obsolete and it gets brittle from the heat. A lot of people have had them break while changing the rack.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It was the pump. The one that was on there was only around 2-3 years old. What a week though. I had a dentist appointment tuesday so it was wednesday before I could work on it. I was working on it in the shop at my grandparent's house which is about 30 minutes away from home so of course I had problems. I got the pump mounted but there weren't enough threads in the shaft to get the pulley on. What was in there stripped out and messed up the pulley kit I rented. I had to pull the pump back off and call my wife to come pick me up. Autozone could get a replacement in the next morning. I haven't driven my V6 lately due to it running rough so the battery was shot. I picked up a battery and headed out to go fix the V8. I stopped by the carwash and realized that my tags were expired, I had no proof of insurance, and my taillight was busted. I must have hit it with a rock while I was cutting grass. I had to go back home and get my new tag and insurance papers. I finally made it back to the V8. The second pump went on with no problems at all. Now I'm waiting on a taillight from ebay before I drive the V6 back home.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts